17pdr
Lv 4
17pdr asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Pope appoints reinstates British Bishop who denies the Holocaust ?

We read that ex-Hitler Youth member Pope 'Little Nazi' Benedict XVI has just reinstated a British Bishop who denies the Holocaust.The Pope welcomed with open arms Richard Williamson and three other men who were excommunicated in 1988. Willianson in anticipation of his re-instatement said last week...

"[History] is hugely against six million having been deliberately gassed in gas chambers as a deliberate policy of Adolf Hitler ... I believe there were no gas chambers".

Who is running the Popes Public Relations, it is widely known he was a member of the Hitler Youith, over Christmas he declared that gays were the biggest danger facing mankind, and today he embraces a Holocaust denier - what is going on at the Vatican ?

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/25/pope-b...

Update:

Mind you the Pope did recognise the other week that Gaza is a concentration camp run by the Israeli's so he got that right, but then I guess an old Hitler Youth member would definately recognise a concentration camp when he saw one

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

This has nothing to do with the Holocaust. Williamson was not excommunicated for his views on the Holocaust. Denying the Holocaust is not an excommunicable offense. Williamson's denial of the Holocaust is not grounds for keeping him out of full communion.

• Dutch
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Not that I agree with this Bishop, but, you have misstated his opinion. This Bishop doesn't deny that the Holocaust occurred. He disagrees with how many people were murdered and whether or not the gas chamber was used during the executions. He estimates that 300,000 Jews were killed during the Holocaust, instead of 6 million.

As for the Catholic Church's acceptance of this man as a priest, the reason for this man's ex-communication and the subsequent reversal of that ex-communication had nothing to do with his beliefs on the Holocaust. On issues other than Theology, Priests, like everyone else, are entitled to their own beliefs. It would be a bad precedent if the Church started screening candidates based upon their political beliefs, no matter how unpopular.

• 1 decade ago

Freedom of speech. I'm no fan of the pope, nor do I deny the holocaust, there just happens to be a lot of evidence which contradicts the official claim of 6 million deaths. In European countries like Germany, you can insult Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, etc, but deny the holocaust (or question the official figures), and you end up spending a good 6 months or more in the slammer.

• Mr D
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Plato, why is anyone who denies the holocaust off the wall?

There is relatively little evidence that 6 million jews were killed, this six million number was only thought up some time in the 1960's.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

those bishops weren't excommunicated for his or her perspectives on such events, and that they weren't reinstated using fact of them. on an identical time as I remorseful approximately that Williamson or any Holocaust denier could have a platform, that is in straightforward terms honest to show that out and definite, the Pope does say he has to recant that concept. And the Pope replaced into no longer a Nazi chief; it incredibly is likewise blown way out of share. that is a form of subjects that manages to hold out the two Catholic haters and Holocaust deniers, and the fact desires to be spoken. upload--I celebrate with what John extra related to the Pope. He replaced right into a splash youngster on the time, and it is not honest to color him as an grownup Nazi chief. in spite of this I actually celebrate with what Mama Pajama has published related to the "sect" (for loss of a greater effective word) that those bishops got here from. on an identical time as solidarity must be sought in the physique of Christ each time achieveable, it would no longer be on the value of even *seeming* to propose, ignore, cut back or ask for forgiveness for some thing as despicable as Holocaust denial and anti-Semitism. I in straightforward terms desire that the tens of millions of non secular Catholics of excellent will survive their preserve by contrast way of thinking and save the church from going decrease back to a gloomy and deadly time and rather save the physique of ideas of admire in the direction of the Jewish human beings exemplified by potential of the final Pope. For the sake of all humanity, the Holocaust can not be denied, or that is definite to be repeated.

• 1 decade ago

The nazis routinely used doctors, schools and neighbors to identify Jews, Poles, gays, gypsies, mentally retarded, mentally ill and other 'undesirables.' Then they built work camps and death camps for these people and rounded them up with an extensive logistics design.

German and Austrian corporations (and the nazi military) used slave labor, death camps were liberated at the end of the war, and over 11 million people did not return to their homes after the fall of Berlin.

It seems to me that promulgating religious fairy tales is simply preparation for shilling more sinister fabrications such as denial of the holocaust. The more people get to see this in its nakedness, the better, imo.

Source(s): http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/world/europe/25p... VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI, reaching out to the far-right of the Roman Catholic Church, revoked the excommunications of four schismatic bishops on Saturday, including one whose comments denying the Holocaust have provoked outrage.
  • Plato
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Your question is good and one that gives concern- anyone who denies the Holocaust is off the wall- I would say 99% of Catholics worldwide do not and those that do are illiterate or have an axe to grind!

This Bishop is being brought back to the church not as a bishop as his ordination is invalid because of the Schism! He will need to offer an apology to those he has offended- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Williamson_(b...

he is illiterate as far as history is concerned! To deny the obvious is a scandal!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well.....this Pope has some serious issues with his attitudes, and that is no new thing.

As for the Vatican being against Obama's moves to remove the anti-abortion conditions from international aid, who cares what this irrelevant old man thinks? Catholicism is atavistic, primitive, self centred and self-indulgent and causes much pain. Working in the Philippines, I see the results of entrenched Catholicism, the poverty, hypocritical clergy and issues with no birth control. This is just one Catholic dofma that is ruthlessly defended beyond all hope of reason and respect.

The Holocaust definitely existed, though the current Pope would rather distance himself from people who take it seriously. He is correct about his assertions regarding Israeli activities (the students have become the practicers of ethnic cleansing).

I don't think the Pope needs new PR people. Let the world see him for what he is: cranky, irrelevant anf hypocritical.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As this is Pope who when a cardinal, did move around & hide paedophile priests.

So nothing much surprises me any more about this man.

He banned the reciting of Mass in Latin, calling for forced conversion of the Jews delivering them from darkness, only to reinstate it days later!

Is this yet another way of broad-siding at the jews?

Might be.

Some in the Vatican do believe the Jews Killed Jesus.

Their opinion might be leaving its mark.

• 1 decade ago

This is the same Pope who then complains that Obama reinstates funds for abortion Information in the US.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.