Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What should I do with an AGGRESSIVE DOG and an NEWBORN ON THE WAY??? HELP ME PLEASE!!?

My boyfriend and I moved in with eachother about 2 months before I got pregnant. His two large german sheppard dogs moved in with us. I thought they were pleasant dogs until one day the male dog started to become aggressive towards me. He growls at different scary pitches at me, he shows his teeth, he barks loudly, or does a combination of them and is usually worse when my boyfriend is around. This behavior can also be spontaneous and in my face. I have been biten by him twice, (not drawing blood) and about two weeks ago he bit my borfriends hand leaving puncture wounds and blood. He can be aggressive with my boyfriend but to bite him like that is unusual. So for 6 months I have been brought to tears weekly in fear for my health and my soon to be babys health. I have seen conselors and have become deeply upset with anxiety in my already hormonal state. I have tried different sorts of training in hopes of less aggressive progress but nothing seems to help for long. I would have rid him a long time ago but my boyfriend cant seem to part with his "baby" or come to terms with ours. I have threathened to leave the house and he doesnt want that either ( he wants the best of all worlds). I have thought about the SPCA or an open field but it seems that no matter which way I turn, someone is going to lose big time. I need advice from the outside world before I lose my mind altogether. Keep in mind that my baby will not be around this dog three months from now. ANY REAL ADVICE IS WELCOME.

Favorite Answer

I would strongly recommend having this dog evaluated by an animal behaviorist...ask your veterinarian for a reference. This kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable, especially if you are bringing an infant into the house. If a behaviorist evaluates this dog and agrees that he is aggressive and dangerous then the ONLY humane and responsible thing to do is to have him euthanized by your veterinarian BEFORE the baby is born. If the behaviorist feels that he can be worked with, then I would strongly advise contacting a german shepherd rescue and working out arrangements for this dog to live with another family for the rest of his life.

You may have to really set your foot down on this one. I'm not a big fan of ultimatums in relationships, but your child's safety must come first before your boyfriend's attachment to this clearly aggressive dog and, if necessary, before your relationship with your boyfriend. Some dogs just are not safe with children and it is important to realize this before a child is bitten, maimed, or killed. A responsible dog owner and a responsible parent would not put a child in danger by keeping this dog. NO AMOUNT of training is going to make this dog safe around children in 3 months time...and he may just be one of those dogs that will NEVER be safe around children regardless of the amount of time and training invested. KEEPING THIS DOG IS **NOT** AN OPTION. If your boyfriend is unwilling to find a new home for this dog, then the only way to get this message across to him is to move out and leave him until he gets rid of the dog. If that means that the break-up becomes permanent, then at least you can rest easy at night knowing that you did what was best for your child.

The dog needs professional training. Find someone with years of experience. If you can't find anyone that can rehabilitate this dog then turn him over to a German Shepherd rescue club. Don't just drop him off or bring him to the SPCA. The SPCA won't even try to rehabilitate him & he will end up being euthanized. If your boyfriend does not want to get rid of the dog then you have to leave. The dog is jealous of you & angry with your boyfriend for bringing you into their lives. The way this dog is now he could literally kill the baby if something doesn't change. You & the baby come first!

You need to take a stand. This dog needs training. He sounds ill mannered and spoiled. You Bf's fault for not taking care of this earlier. Either he gets the dog under control with a good trainer or find it a new home or you must find a safe place to bring you baby home to. Being as far along as you are, you are not physically able to take over the training yourself which is what I usually suggest.

Don't dump the dog in a field. It really isn't the dog's fault.

I usually put my dogs first, but that means I train them to be good citizens and not a threat. Your BF has not fulfilled his dog ownership requirements. You must protect your baby at all costs. That means even if you have to lose the BF if he does not take action.

It's easy. That dog considers himself pack leader and he is keeping the rest of you under control. You and your boyfriend need a professional trainer for this dog and for you so that you can take back control. GSD's are large, formidable dogs that can inflict serious damage if they are aggressive. If you and/or your boyfriend are serious about staying together, you need a professional trainer now! And, if you decide to surrender the dog, be warned that because the dog has not received the proper training he needs, the SPCA will probably have no choice but to euthanize him since he has become aggressive. If you and/or your boyfriend are unwilling or unable to invest in a good trainer, you have to options - surrender the dog (again, he will most likely be destroyed), or move out when the new baby comes.

• Kate

wow, I would have to say that the dog is slightly beyond regular training. You either have to get a professional in, or get a vets advice regarding the training OR give him away, he is way to aggressive for a new baby to be coming. A well behaved dog is enough of a concern with a new baby yet alone one like yours. This dog will never be able to be trusted around the baby and you will always worry. The baby comes first, the dog needs to go or have a serious attitude adjustment using a specialist. You should not have to tolerate a dog of this nature and your boyfriend should realize he is a serious danger to the baby. You need to do the responsible thing when it comes to a child and make your house safe for him or her.

Source(s): Worked for a vet for 4 years

I can't imagine the emotions you're dealing with at this time. I think that your boyfriend needs to come to terms with the baby that is almost here. If he is having trouble training his dog now when its just the 2 of you the problem will only escalate with the arrival of a new person in the home.

On the other hand, as a mother you must make the right decision for you and your baby's health and happiness. If the dog is still around you may need to make the step to separate yourself from that situation. Your baby is your number 1 priority, and hopefully it will become your boyfriend as well.

If there is a humane society in your area that is a good option as well as posting flyers at local pet stores or vets looking for a home for him.

Good luck with the dog and the birth of your little one! : )

Find a rescue that specializes in the breed. Believe me, you don't want the dog to end up attacking your baby and something terrible happening! If he is aggressive you should take the appropriate measures and find someone else to give him a good, stable home. If the dog is mean towards you he's probably jealous and when that baby comes it will be even worse. Your man needs to understand this! If he doesn't move out! Do Not put your baby at risk!

in my training, first displays of dominance by the dog (showing teeth, snapping the air, a growl) were always dealt with a bigger display of dominance from me. (aggressive posturing, etc are NOT tolerated.)

this has always been enough to nip it in the bud, because i show the dog that I am his BOSS and he is a dog and better dam well listen to me....

however, your boyfriend's dog has crossed the line. it has bitten both you and him. this is not something that has just "happened". the dog, through intimidating you, has learned that he's the boss, and you will give into him because you're afraid of him.

i don't deal with dogs who bite the hand that feeds them. they take one last walk behind the barn and they don't come back. because a dog who bites its owner, rather than protects it, cannot be trusted.

in all the dogs we have EVER had, i've only had to put one down. she was poorly bred though, and abused to the point of psychosis. i was her "last stop" because the woman who gave her to me had been chewed up and down by the dog. unfortunately, the dog didn't learn.

you really need to tell your BF that he can have you (and the baby!) or the dog, but not both. you're grown people. what if the dog bit your baby?!?!?!?

• mickey

I suggest rehoming the dog to someone who is experienced and will train him or find a no-kill shelter. I would not take the chance of having this dog around a baby or child since he growls at you and has bitten your bf who should be the pack leader. You don't know what sets the dog off and even with new training that trigger may still go off. I love dogs but kids come first and if your bf doesn't see it this way, you're better off without him.