Why do people call the BBC the beeb?

I keep on hearing it and I don't know why its now called "the beeb" instead of the BBC?

I seem to remember that the expression "the Beeb" was first used by the late Kenny Everett on his Radio One show, much to the annoyance of the stuffed shirts in charge of the BBC in those days. The ironic thing was that , after spending many years trying to stop Kenny using it, the nickname was officially accepted as an attempt to modernise the BBC's image.

I used to love Kenny's shows. He used to create all his own jingles. He was a unique talent.

• bussie

The Beeb

In the fifties, Peter Sellers referred to the BBC as the Beeb Beeb Ceebs in his movie The Goon Show. I would assume "the beeb" was initiated from that movie.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why do people call the BBC the beeb?

Source(s): people call bbc beeb: https://shortly.im/PzKWi

Thumbs up David C...

Thats the answer i've heard also, whether it's an urban myth or not dunno ... but I also believe Kenny Everett was first to call the BBC Beeb

its pronounced the Beeb Bee Ceee

so its nick name is the Beeb

fS

i think the original was aunty beeb.. its a micky take on the bbc.. coz they always trying to tell us how to live our lives.. and what to do.. just like an old aunty.....

plus anti-beeb... need i go on.?

BBC invented the beeb. You can beeb off. you big beeb. You big beeb beeb hole.

It is a diminutive based on the sound of the first syllable.

It's really the EBC and should be called " The eeeb".