Based on the moods I'm looking for, what bands/artists might I like?

Lately I've been thinking I should expand my musical taste. I have a fairly narrow taste right now and I want to find new music. I've tried just listening to genre based stations and stations that play all kinds of music, but I haven't found anything. So, I decided I will ask people to recommend music based on the mood and character I want. That way it won't be locked in any particular genre, but it will still have the music I'm looking for.

Just as a quick note, I would appreciate it if you didn't simply list bands that you like. I've noticed a lot of people here just recommend music off their iPod when people are requesting something specific. Please do not answer my question unless you can suggest something that fits my taste.

Before I describe my taste I should say something about the quality of the music I'm looking for. Basically, I just don't want the music to suck. The band/artist should have talent and it should not be completely generic sounding. This does not mean it has to have extremely complex cords/notes.

Like my guitar teacher said, some bands chose not to be extremely technically complex in their music even if they are able to. It has to fit the mood they are looking for. For example, a rock band might use mostly power chords and may not be as musically complex as some of the technically proficient progressive rock bands, but that doesn't mean it isn't complex. It can also be complex in its mood, and the feelings it evokes. I would definitely like it to be melodic if possible.

___

OK, getting on with the questions, I'm going to go ahead and tell you what I'm looking for.

I want music that has sort of a dark, brooding, emotional, introspective feel without being mellow and without being "evil". I'd like it to have a passionate angst as well. I want it to sound like the singer cares about what he is singing. I don't like getting an apathetic "vibe" from the music. I also don't want any sort of sarcastic attitude. I don't want fun/playful or party music either. Finally, I do not want the vocals to be buried under the music. I tend to like either purely instrumental or rather vocal-centric.

All this is meant to fit my personality. I guess I could be compared to Anakin from Star Wars.

As far as the themes, I don't have anything too specific that I'm looking for. I guess it should go along with the mood. Just note that I do not want anything spiritual unless it is Christian. Yes I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean anything except that I do not want anything that is clearly anti-christian (*cough*Nine Inch Nails*cough*). I am perfectly fine with swearing. Both Christian and secular music work for me.

And for reference, here is a list of moods that I am looking for:

* Aggressive

* Passionate

* Cathartic

* Confrontational

* Reflective

* Angst-Ridden

* Tense/Anxious

* Searching

* Visceral

* Fierce

* Dramatic

* Atmospheric

* Intense

* Brooding

* Emotional

Obviously, it doesn't need to match that list perfectly, but it should be close.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this. Again, I would really appreciate it if you made suggestions based on what I've said.

Best answer will go to whoever gives the best artist/band that matches what I'm looking for. Even if it's a band/artist you already think I might listen too, suggest it. I may give best answer for the best guess.

And feel free to offer multiple bands and artists. Just make sure they all fit with my taste.

it's hard to get the exact thing but this is my guess:

Foo Fighters- Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace ALBUM:

Songs: Home - Pretender

and Times Like These

Lifehouse: Everything

Goo Goo Dolls: Let Love In

Best matched in my point of view: Drift by Forty Foot Echo

Iv got exactly the artist for you...a great songwriter and his band were brilliant called Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. Hes been around since the 80s. Id particular recommend his last album Dig Lazarus Dig as it has all the things you mention in this album but even more so it has lots of moments of lyrical genius. I think you would really enjoy it. I couldn't think of a more fitting album for your description and advise you have a listen! If you want to hear some songs on youtube or something id advise... "Todays Lesson"

"Midnight Man" "Hold on to Yourself" and "More News From Nowhere" "Dig Lazarus Dig"

Those are some songs in that style you are looking for but the whole album follows that.

So its Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - (album) Dig Lazarus Dig...though there is also a song in the album named that.

As you were saying you want the singer to be passionate and really care about what hes singing about there couldnt be anyone more perfect to fit the mood your looking for...and listen to the lyrics as well!!! I hope you enjoy it...im listening to it right now!

Generally the music I listen to is probably more melodic or more quiet and calm than you are looking for but I'll give it a try to suggest some bands.

The Cure could be a band that you'd like if you don't already listen to them.

Depeche Mode definitely. they have good lyrics and I would say they are atmosperic, melodic and passionate.

Muse and Radiohead are very good bands too that can be aggresive and dramatic at times.

If you are looking for something very aggresive I would reccommend Galllows. they are a pretty angry band

Pulp are very emotional and intense.

So are the Stone Roses.

hope this helps!

No WONDER you're looking for a new direction. Look at the pileup of emotion you just vented.

I will recommend one track from each band to start you, and let you search them at your leisure. No new bands for you this time. Seems we always have a panel of people who think they just "discovered" new offerings.

Jon Butcher - Goodbye Saving Grace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1dMN_ZvMRI

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Jackson Browne - That Girl Could Sing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nCh7QYuec

Youtube thumbnail

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Blue On Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosaM97DONU

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Tonic - If You Could Only See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b85nsYzBS4

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

R.E.M. - South Central Rain (I'm Sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6nl8deFVk

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Man, that was hard to find studio on Youtube! Damn the copyright nazis.

Despised Icon

The ills Of Modern Man

Entire LP

It will, believe me.

For someone who is trying to expand and not be so narrow, you sure do have a lot of requirements.

Anyway, you may like this band: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=us...

They're called Lucretia's Daggers, they are an electro/goth band from Boston.

WOW! if you have that many criteria to meet, maybe you shouldnt listen to music at all. I have a headache from reading all that

metallica (first 3 albums especially)

dragonforce

the offspring

stevie ray vaughan

pink floyd

black tide

disturbed (earlier stuff is better)

pantera

Gave up reading half way down.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dude your ******* picky all you have to do is listen to music see if you like it if you dont you dont if you do you do. Dont be asking people about this stuff.