Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 1 decade ago

TELEPATHY? HOW DOES IT (IF REAL) CAN TURN THE LAWS OF PHYSICS UPSIDE DOWN?

Rupert Sheldrake was discussing telepathy with Richard Dawkins and Dawkins He said that if it really occurred, it would “turn the laws of physics upside down,” and added, “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

Q: HOW WOULD TELEPATHY TURN THE LAWS OF PHYSICS UPSIDE DOWN?

What does that mean? I also read that another Oxford fellow who is probably even more closed minded than Dawkins saidProfessor Peter Atkins, Fellow and Tutor in Physical Chemisty, Oxford University:

“Although it is politically incorrect to dismiss ideas out of hand, in this case there is absolutely no reason to suppose that telepathy is anything more than a charlatan’s fantasy. If telepathy were a real phenomenon, evolution and natural selection would have developed it into a serious ability. That has not occurred in this case, neither speaker has a reputation for reliability, and it is extraordinary that the BA should consider them worth a platform.

I KNOW TELEPATHY EXISTS SO WHAT DOES IT MEAN SCIENTIFICALLY? HOW WOULD THAT TURN THE LAWS OF PHYSICS UPSIDE DOWN?

P.S. DAWKINS SAID WITHOUT EVIDENCE WE CAN NOT HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS LATER IN THE INTERVIEW, SHELDRAKE PROVIDED EVIDENCE TO DAWKINS WHICH HE SAID I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS IT HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE SOMEONE SO CLOSED MINDED AND HYPOCRITICAL LIKE DAWKINS. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ANSWERS.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not necessarily sure that verifiable proof of the existence of telepathy would turn the laws of physics upside down. Telepathy is the ability to communicate via some means other than by use of the classical five senses. Its impact upon physics would be far less than the implication within neuroscience and biology. Telekinesis on the other hand, which is the ability to act upon a physical system by will alone, would.

If you consider that we've developed means by which to transfer information 'invisibly' using technology, it wouldn't take a great stretch of the imagination to consider how telepathy might be possible. But to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't be any 'verifiable' proof, a necessary condition for telepathy to be considered scientifically. Though I'm not familiar with the aforementioned discussion between Sheldrake and Dawkins, perhaps the reason for Dawkins' perceived closed-mindedness is that the 'evidence' provided wasn't deemed sufficient to draw the conclusion that telepathy exists, and what 'evidence' was provided wasn't verifiable.

This leads me to question, what evidence do you have that telepathy exists? Keep in mind that a belief doesn't necessarily constitute science; the belief must be backed by some empirical evidence that can be repeated by others using the same methodology.

Now I would have to agree that there is a great deal about the reality in which we live that is not yet understood by mankind. It would be enormously arrogant for us to assume that our present understanding of the universe is absolute. We've been wrong before and therefore we must be open to new possibilities. But the scientific method must be observed as well. It is also possible that not all truth can be discovered by means of science. Nonetheless, with regards to telepathy, I've seen no convincing evidence so if you have it, please share.

Edit: As 'Bob' mentioned above, there are scientifically valid theories that could explain telepathy, as well as other phenomenon such as time travel (though not necessarily in the context that sci-fi has familiarized us with), that haven't yet been accepted by the larger scientific community. Furthermore, I'm aware that there has a been a significant amount of research in this field. At the present however its still considered more pseudoscience than real science. From personal experience I know that the technology that we use every day is lagging significantly behind what's being developed at universities, government-funded organizations, and private companies. We must remain open-minded, yet reasonably skeptical, of new possibilities.

• Gary H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There are certainly things about physics which we do not understand and there are undoubtedly things we have not discovered yet but, to the best of my knowledge, anyone who has ever claimed to have telepathy and who has been tested under controlled scientific conditions, has failed to show anything extraordinary. It is also true that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If someone claims to have special powers but those powers only work under special conditions, then it is very hard to gather good scientific measurements.

Another fact, human history has a long record of people who made money by convincing people (the people who paid them) that they had special powers. It is also true that many people "want" to believe that telepathy is real (because it would be very cool to have telepathy while very few other people have it, once everyone has it, it would not be so special). Simple magic tricks can be very impressive, particularly to someone who has limited experience with the tricks. You take someone who wants to believe, you tell them you have special powers, you trick them into believing that the trick you just did was evidence of your special powers, and it is easy to get money from them.

• Bob D1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Actually, ESP, Remote viewing, and psychokinetics are true phenomena. We all have a little of this at times in our lives, some more than others. There are things that happen in life that simply cannot be accounted for in terms of "change" or "coincidence". Folks who say that PSI phenomenon isn't real, are simply viewing the world and reality from a perspective based on classical physics alone. There is a thing called quantum physics which is the basis of the foundation of our universe. Quantum physics suggest that PSI can occur. However, in a large classical universe, its not a stable phenomenon. Now, does that mean that it can't be made stable by applying the approprate technology? No, of course not. If one understands what is happening to the individual undergoing the phenomenon, they can use electronics to enhance and stablize that effect. Thus, making effects such as remote viewing useful. Now, if that was made known to the general public, just like with human cloning and with UFOs, it would change everything. Such would call for developing completely new rules of the game that humanity plays on a world level.

I can tell you this with 100% certainty, the technology exists for enhancing and manipulating the PSI phenomenon on an undreamed of level. Of course, this technology is classified and you'll not find much if any references to it over the Internet. However, if you know what to to look for, you can find "trends" in government based research which clearly shows an interest and motivation toward developing this kind of technology. The evolution of science and technology along with that of the world societies, almost demands the development and perfection of this kind of technology.

See: NASA News

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/mar/HQ_04093_...

ESP

http://www.halexandria.org/dward016.htm

Brain Imaging Technology Can Reveal What A Person Is Thinking About

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/00111...

Army Science and Technology Master Plan (ASTMP)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/docs/astmp/c4/...

Human-System Interface (HSI)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/docs/astmp/c4/...

Holographic

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/6583/p...

Scientists To Study Synthetic Telepathy

http://www.physorg.com/news137863959.html

and more, much more.

Source(s): self
  • 1 decade ago

What is your evidence of telepathy?

The laws of physics state that an object's momentum doesn't change unless a force acts on it. Telepathy would have to project some sort of force on an object to make it move. What is that force? How is it created and projected? Fill us on this, providing evidence or at least quoting the reliable sources, then we can take you seriously.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i am skeptical about this but im going to play with your game.

if you believe in god then you should believe in your spirit, and that makes your body tick right... what if the passages on the genesis is metaphorical in nature and eden, where men has dominion over nature, were our spirit in this corporeal body. now if we unlock this soul it can unleash its power and retain its dominion over earth in which case we can manipulate the particles in the area and move it to our will. that is a scientific tekenesis heheheh...

all in all no one can do this and frankly, other people shouting that they have this ability are either a nut or delusional. you can't move objects by your will, but i think, in fantasy, you cna move the objects/particles within the subject that you are trying to move to move it.

sorry to break it up to you but telepathy cannot exist, and no one can prove otherwise. its like saying the world is square in form but circular in shape which is hilariously dispicable....

(>_<).v..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.