How do you feel about these ministers anointing & praying over the Inaugural Walkway?

Congressman Joins Ministers to Anoint and Pray Over Obama Inaugural WalkwayPeggy Birchfield (January 9, 2009)"Oil symbolizes consecration, or setting something apart for God's use. George Washington used oil during the dedication of the US Capitol. We used oil today to set apart the walkway and doors that will be the literal rite of passage for Barack Obama as he ascends to the highest office in our land."(Washington, DC)—In a first for presidential inaugurations, Congressman Paul Broun of Georgia joined the Reverends Rob Schenck of Faith and Action and Patrick J. Mahoney of the Christian Defense Coalition, both based in Washington, DC, in a prayer service inside the US Capitol today that included anointing the doorway President-Elect Barack Obama will pass through on his way to the platform to be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States on January 20.

"Anointing with oil is a rich tradition both in the Bible and in the history of the US Capitol," said Rev. Schenck. "Oil symbolizes consecration, or setting something apart for God's use. George Washington used oil during the dedication of the US Capitol. We used oil today to set apart the walkway and doors that will be the literal rite of passage for Barack Obama as he ascends to the highest office in our land."

Rep. Broun spoke during the 10-minute prayer service, delivering a short sermon-like talk on the need to obey God and His will, and for the future president to do what is right. Rev. Schenck read Bible passages and applied sacred oil to the doorposts of the arched doorway leading out of the Capitol and onto the inaugural stage, immediately in front of the riser where Obama will stand with Chief Justice John Roberts who will administer the Oath of Office. Rev. Mahoney, who is undertaking a 21-day fast and daily prayer schedule for Mr. Obama across the street from the White House, read an inaugural prayer by Dr. Billy Graham delivered 40 years ago.

Congressman Broun referred to the location of the prayer service as "the doorway that (President-Elect Obama) will enter through to the start of his presidency."

http://www.faithandaction.org/2009/01/07/obama-ano...

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

God Bless those preachers.

I want the world to know that I DID NOT vote for Barack Hussein Obama for president, and I oppose EVERYTHING that this bloviating liberal has specifically supported...This man is THE man who can say nothing better than anyone I've ever heard...And on the odd occasion he actually states something specific, I oppose it.

For example, I saw and heard him being interviewed by George Stephanopholus when he "stumbled" and confessed his "muslim faith" and the INTERVIEWER corrected him. If this had been Sarah Palin, we would have seen this on CNN every 20 minutes, 24/7, until election day.

If Barack Hussein Obama is truly a "messiah" he needs to heal the sick, raise the dead, walk on water, repeal ALL taxes, and take 5 loaves and 2 fishes and give us world peace.

Now that you understand where I'm coming from, I support the President like I would support any repentant sinner who would ask me to pray with them.

We have discussed this at length in our Adult Sunday School class...God is still on the throne, and he is still the Sovereign Power of the Universe...God can raise up whomever he will, and the heart of the King is His.

IF GOD WILLS, Barack Hussein Obama can lose his mind and run around in the Rose Garden and eat grass like a wild animal....God can harden his heart and he could be like Pharoah....God can blind him and speak to him and change his name from Saul to Paul...

Be not deceived, God is not mocked. God is Sovereign, and he can raise up stones to become children to Abraham. I pray for my own heart to be soft and yielded to the Holy Spirit, and I pray for the hearts of my family, friends, church brothers and sisters, and for the leaders of our nation:

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

May God help us, and may he bless Barack Hussein Obama as he is sworn in to become the most powerful man on the face of the earth. I know not the future, but I have faith and hope and trust in Him who does.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Pathetic. Just one minor symptom of the circus of fools that are going to run the show for the next 4 years.

Any of you Barry voters getting nervous yet? Any buyer's remorse?

Guess what, all you short-sighted bandwagoners; he ain't the second coming!

All the oil and prayers in the world aren't going to solve this guy's myriad of shortcomings.

We are screwed!

• 1 decade ago

It sounds unchristian and unbiblical. It sounds like it belongs under the category of revering objects. Where in the new testament do we read of any Christian annointing objects? If they want to consecrate his presidency, why don't they annoint HIM? But even that would be an abomination since he is a muslim.

• liz v
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Though I didn't vote for him, I positively plan to support him as our new president. This sounds like a good start for a difficult job. We need to support him in our prayers and our attitudes. God put him there for a reason, and God knows best.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

Romans 13:1

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."

1 Timothy 2:1-2

"The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD;

he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases."

Proverbs 21:1

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

After twenty years of black liberation theology by Obama it is not the doorways, pathways, podiums - whatever, that should be prayed over, but Obama's soul and heart for he could not have been dedicated to Christ under such false doctrine.

• Amber
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Obviously I have personal issues with it, but ultimately it's Obama's choice (though I was beyond pissed when I saw his pick for who will do the opening prayer). He's religious, and it's his right to have a religious part of the ceremony. It's not required, it's his choice, so it doesn't violate the Constitution.

And they can say whatever they want about how they feel the US is a Christian nation, that doesn't make it true.

Source(s): atheist
  • 1 decade ago

There are certain modernizations of ancient rituals that just highlight how silly they are. It just seems comical to have guys in suits and glasses bobbing and weaving over a handicap-accessible modern glass and metal door, especially when you consider that one of the primary uses of anointing oil was to cover up the stench of life back then.

I say get a custodian to pop some Windex and Febreze on that door and tell those three to get real jobs.

• 1 decade ago

There isn't enough oil in the world to consecrate Obama.

• L.T.M.
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

First thing that comes to mind is..how would the press be covering this if this was done for Bush? I think we all know the answer to that.

Second..not to make fun of a prayer but shouldn't they be using Kool-Aide?

• canam
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Obama needs all the help he can get. God may be the only source of truth and honesty in washington.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.