Could the British army defeat the Israeli army in a war?

This is just a theory question. Suppose there was a straight war - No Nuclear weapons - between Isreal and the UK. Using the Airforce, Navy and Infantry troops.

Could the Israeli army beat the British? Everyone says they are the toughest army in the world.

The British would wipe them out, air sea land but Israel would win on the civilian casualty score, oh look theres a hospital, Kaboom! oh look a school Kaboom.

This is the religious forum. However, since you're here. Ask the fleeing Mahdi Army, the fleeing al Qa'ida terrorists, and the fleeing Sunnis who won the war? (In case you're not watching the news, the all left Baghdad before the MIGHTY AMERICANS arrived. Just a thought: do you have a psychological need for America to lose? Is that the impetus behind making up stories like this?)

Wow the legendary British arrogance never ceases to amaze, you guys are a laugh! First of all the British armed forces are barely larger than Israels and your equipment is not anything close to superior. Do you really think you can keep up with all that concentrated genius? How many award winning scientists does the UK have compared to Israel? As much as I love English culture and history its about time somebody cut you to size. You would have to dig really deep to beat all those Jews. Really deep.

Dumbest question of the year, second only to "Could the British Army defeat the U.S, Army?"

• AgProv

Hmmm. A lot would depend on cause, context and motivation - if the israelis were fighting for their lives and their country I wouldn't like to risk it as they'd have everything to play for and everything to lose. Similarly, if the Israelis were in Hitler's position in 1940 - looking over the Channel and poised to invade - they'd probably get as badly unstuck as trhe Germans did.

On current form, the Israeli air force would be primed to bomb only areas with significant Muslim populations so Brick Lane, Sparksbrook, Rusholme, Bradford, would be pounded to pulp by Day Three. Heavens above, we'd be putting up fake minarets in empty fields and watching the IAF waste its munitions on targets they've been so trained to zero in on that they couldn't stop themselves from attacking... (while, of course, important military targets went unbombed)

The Israeli army last fought a conventional ground war against a conventional enemy in 1973. They did brilliantly at it, but this is over a generation ago.

Meanwhile, Britain has fought and won wars in the Falklands, Sierra Leone, Kuwait, Iraq... we have recent and consistent history of winning.

Although as an old Tom, may I say I'd far rather have the Israelis on my side and pissing out, rather than on the other side and pissing back?

Thank you.

"Well, that's a tough question. The Israel Army is small but it has defeated all the Arab countries that have waged war on it. The U.K. on the other hand, has numbers and has been fighting for centuries. "

What are you on? Britain is relatively small as a fighting force. Yet we've kicked the arses of many countries much bigger then ours. In the Falklands the Argentinians had 220 fighters, Britain had 34. Argentina got owned. The US said that recapturing the Falklands was a military impossibility. Hah!

Our best victories were all when we were heavily outnumbered, Agincourt, Spanish Armada, Battle of Trafalgar, Battle of Britain. Even failures such as the US revolutionary war the US took much more casualties even though there were MUCH more of them and they had militants and many French troops.

Israel has a tough army. But not the toughest, Britain wrote the book on having a tough army.

Very provocative question!

I am a Brit I have a great deal of respect for all Zionists and in particular their military, I could never envisage any time when Brits would go to war against the Israelis . I have been in the military , I have also been to the Sinia area, I have seen the aftermath of the 6 day war.

If we just answer your question as it stands then obviously the Brits would eventually win, for many reasons!

Lets take your fantasy a few stages further.

Just about all the Arab nations would want to 'help' any enemy of the Zionists, whether we needed it or not.

What about the Americans, Brits and now Arabs attacking Zionists, what would they do? Who would they support? And why?

How about the rest of the world, China, Europe , the mind boggles.

OK I'm not going to think about it any more , I think my head has broken!

Now the big question why does my wife keep hiding my vodka, the Russians wont be happy when I report her.

• Perkey

Dude, the British army is ranked as 1st best trained force in the world, Israel is ranked number 3. Britain has the best trained special forces in the world by far meaning the SAS,SBS all of them are by far amazing in military eyes. Israel is 2nd in how well trained the special forces are. The British have allot more advanced and better quality equipment. RAF, best trained air force in the world. Navy has the most advanced technology in the world and is in the top 2 for best trained. IN other words the British could win in a week if really needed to. I'm also Amercian and like Israel more then Britain but I nkow this stuff and this is all true.

Source(s): Knowladge, News, Internet, and seving in the Army.

Firepower ranks the UK as 4th and Israel as 11th in the World. So my money is with UK. As for the idiot that suggests that Israel has more world leading scientists. Are you crazy? A massive proportion of the top 100 universities are UK based!

Interesting question. I think that the Israeli military could beat the British in a land war and in the air. The Challenger though being a heavy tank had lots of short comings during Desert Storm 91. Engine problems and sights were it's major down falls. The Merkava is designed for the region and the Challenger is not. Plus there is almost no evidence that any T-55's, 72's were taken out by Challengers just M-1's. Israeli tankers have more kills in tank vs tank battles Merkavas 1982-1999 and Centurions 1952-1978 say for the Brits Again only WW2 and few if any tank on tank wars since. Their Air Force has had much more experience 1954-1984 and has more Aces, than the British Air Force say for, World War 2. As for Naval battle the British would win as the Israeli navy is small and mainly gun boats and few if any larger ships other than some Frigates which are no match for Cruisers. Plus the British have 2-4 Carriers though small Jump Jet type they can due damage. Last if it was the Brits attacking Israel I say the Brits would loose in the long run, since they would have to ship all their equipment. Same for Israel. Also you know your country better than enemy does. All in all it is a toss up and interesting hypothetical question.

Without big problems. Just the royal navy and the RAF could do the job because the israeli army has no experience in sea war. And it would be the only way in the beginning due to logistic problems for

the Brits if they had to go to Israel.