Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How much does car insurance cost in England?

I'm not used to private insurance companies with differing rates! Here are the details:

- If I had an older, smallish car, say that cost 900 pounds

- No spots on my driving record, been driving for 10 years, *but*

- I've just moved to England from Canada

- I want full coverage, 3rd party, fire and theft

Any advice on who is more, or less, expensive?

It varies so much, even between which postcode you come under and how much voluntary excess you choose.

Try:

Confused .com

moneysupermarket

comparethemarket

gocompare

these are search sites that will give you comparison's of lots of companies.

I was insured with ecar, and I thought they were great, comprehensive cover, got free breakdown (providing car is under 8yrs), free European breakdown assistance, legal cover and no claims protected.

I have a 2.0 Mondeo 2005 and my re-quote was £384 though I will be shopping around as its due for renewal today.

Note also that sometimes having someone else on the policy makes it cheaper, a higher excess makes it cheaper as long as you don't have an accident, where you park it is also a factor ie on a drive is better than road, and I would recommend going fully comp.

There are some sites on line where you can type in all the details and get a 'quote'.

You will need the make model and registration number of the vehicle though.

Your car costs £900. so start by asking for fully comprehensive.

You may find the cost reduces if you offer to pay an excess of £250.

Then if you check, third party fire and theft and the cost is much reduced, you may want to consider if a £900 car is worth insuring comprehensively. Your car would still be covered if you were not responsible for the accident, but you will not necessarily get the £900 value, the Insurance companies use a basic list price for that cars of that age and type, if their list price is £250 that is all you will get.

I hope I have made the explanation clear enough. Trying not to be too long winded here

the insurance rate is calculated as risk

age, sex, type of car, area in the country you reside and drive in, place where car is kept

the value of the car is not the factor the desirability of the car is and also how easily a thief can break into a car (without breaking a window) and also if the car is not equipped with an immobiliser - less common these days as all cars past R reg have immobilisers as standard

as you are female that will work in your favour, older vehicles are less desirable but more stealable, not being in the UK before means no no claims bonus

i would imagine that your quote would be around £600-800 a year depending on where you are in the country

you may want to consider Fully comp as in many cases it is not much more than third arty fire and theft

i would consider directline or morethan

• Eric

1

Why don't you contact a local Insurance Agent for a free quote?

full coverage is actually fully comprehensive. it will vary a great deal . you need ot make sure your driving license is valid over here first ( and not just an international license) check out insurance search comparison engines and site such as Direct line, Admiral etc.

• Brande

I recommend one to visit this website where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://insuranceforcheap.info/index.html?src=1YAbi...

RE :How much does car insurance cost in England?

Follow 5 answers

About 1034.00 Euro per month