What is considered more popular in the US - Baseball, football, basketball or hockey?

Why is that?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Scott
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Football is watched on television by the most people. The NFL brings in about 2.2 billion dollars a year in TV revenue. The MLB earns about 340 million.

Baseball is by far attended live by the most total people each season.

Of course, this isn't necessarily an indicator since football only has 16 games a season compared to 162 for baseball. During the year 2000, the average crowd at a baseball game was 30,125, while the average crowd at a football game was 66,077. Yet, considering the massive imbalance in games played, that's not a bad number for baseball. So the average MLB team enjoys 2,440,125 attendees for 81 home games, while the average NFL stadium sees 528,616 fans over the 8 games.

It's really hard and expensive to get NFL tickets, but baseball games rarely sell out, so one can attend them with little foresight. Baseball games, in the year 2000, cost $20.02, while football games cost an average of $54.14.

So football and baseball are both "most popular" in different ways. Basketball is a third in most respects and hockey is a distant fourth. This is of course amongst team sports, if you start talking NASCAR, there's a different story (ugh).

• 1 decade ago

I believe american football is the most popular in the US. Baseball is only watched during the world series by most people. Don't know too much about basketball. That is probably second. Hockey has to be the least watched of those four.

I don't know why but I myself like football the best. It's partially because they only have 16 games in the regular season so every game counts.

• 1 decade ago

1. Football

2. Baseball

3. Basketball

4. Hockey

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not Hockey. Hockey is in Canada

I'm going to have to say Baseball. Basket Ball and football are well liked too, but I think Baseball is more popular

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

1) Football

2) Baseball (gag me w/ a spoon) but it's falling fast

3) Basketball, it's falling fast too

4) Hockey, it's on the rise quickly. Should overtake basketball very soon.

• 1 decade ago

if football is american its that, if its european football its got to be baseball then basketball then hockey then football

Source(s): guess
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

football, it should be hockey tho. Hockey is the best game in the world...well, close 2nd to rugby.

• James
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

That is a really hard question. In my mind it is football just because that is what I mainly watch.

• 1 decade ago

Baseball, its the national pasttime

• 1 decade ago

football or baseball

hockey's considered more for canadiens

basketball, i really have no clue

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.