promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the origin of the expression "rots my socks"?

My mother uses the expression "rots my socks" to express anger - I have found a great deal of people who also use the same expression online. Does anyone know the origin of the expression?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

THere is no origin because your mom is the only one in the world who says it. She invented it somehow.

Like the mom who said "You can stuff your Sorry in a sack" whenever her kids said "Sorry". She was the only one who ever said that.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 6 years ago

"THere is no origin because your mom is the only one in the world who says it." - WOW, it's amazing that any one person can know what everyone in the world has ever or never said! (Fortunately most people are wise enough to realize that there are more people in the world than they know personally, and that they're not all exactly like each other.)

I've heard this expression too, but long ago. It means "really annoys me" or "p*sses me off".

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the only form of this I know is "rocks my sox off" which means "that's awesome". Otherwise it might (maybe?) refer to something associated with war. In war soldiers would wear their shoes and socks for such long periods of time their socks would literally rot off their feet, often causing gangrene. Sorry, I don't know.

• 4 years ago

It's gotta be a World War II era thing. My dad used to say that.. I remember hearing other Old-Timers say that back in the day.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I've only heard that expression in relation to a really strong alcholic drink.

• 1 decade ago

ummm i think its supposed to be like "rocks my socks" so if its NOT cool then it rots your socks

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.