Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do Muslims consider the left hand to be unclean?

Does anyone know why?

well then my right hand must be the dirty hand lol but i use toilet paper.

I read it online about when I was reading up on tips about Egypt for travelling etc.

• MK6

That's the hand used to wipe your a$s.

-Really, - that's the reason.

(not "yours", - but theirs)

I know ...i could not believe it when they said at work that they do not use toilet paper but the hand....oh my god...no wonder i am ill ,when i have shaken hands......

• Scouse

The wiping of the bum is quite correct and also lies behind the reason why many muslims will not shake hands or will do so with their left hand. As an infidel you are unclean. Personally I find it insulting and I think that is the intention otherwise I would excuse it

That's the hand they wipe there bottom with, some muslims dont use toilot tissue!

Not that left hand is unclean, it's just preferred to use right hand when eating. Because left hand is used to answer the call of the nature i.e cleaning yourself after you have done your business.

For this reason, we try not to use the left hand without reason i.e if you can only use one hand then we will use right hand.

I think that's hygienically correct also.

The other answers are correct. That's the hand you use to wipe your anus with.

It goes back a very long way. Remember, our word 'sinister' comes from the Latin word for left. It has nothing to do with Leftist politics, which refers to where politicans sat in the National Assembly after the French Rev.

It's not a bad practical solution if hands are all you have to manipulate the world with - like keeping some clothes or furniture for 'best'.

But in a modern context, where cleanliness - true, sterile cleanliness - is just a bottle of handwash away, it's pretty barbaric most of the time.

I am left handed. I resent muslims.

• LillyB

Again its not a religious issue and its not even cultural really its just practical. Your left hand is used for wiping and cleaning your bottom after you do a poo. And you don't use your dirty hand to eat. That's why in Saudi when they cut off someone's hand they always make it the right.

• ASHLEY

It's the hand they use to wipe their butt, right hand is for eating