Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How much do London tube or underground drivers earn while they are training, and how long is the training?

hi mate,

london underground train drivers earn over £40,000 per annum. the training period is 22 weeks and is done solely in house.

the best way for you to get a job driving a train is firstly get a position within LUL (type in TFL vacancies to your search engine). and then you can apply internally once you are in any position within the underground.

the job is the hardest to get on the underground and the easiest to lose. internally there is waiting lists of over 18 months for staff waiting to train as drivers. it is a good gig if you can get used to the shifts, the massive responsibility and solitude of the job. the pay is now very good and you will remain on whatever salary you are on until you complete training (Station Assistant lowest grade is about £25,000 pa).

Good Luck

Source(s): i do some work for tfl.
  • ?

Tube Driver Training

I think the Mayor of London rather simplifies the trurh. There are two lines where the driver simply closes the doors and presses the start button. However he or she must take over a full drivers' role when signal failures occur, which is frequently. They operate trains which might carry as many as 1200-1500 people in the rush hour, and will be responsible for them if there is a fire, terrorist attack or similar emergency. They also need sufficient technical knowledge to drive the train forward to the next station if the electric motors were to fail as a result of fire or mechanical breakdown. To convert the remainig lines to automatic running would cost billions - installing new signalling systems, sensors and replacing fleets of trains which are not life expired.

Great job, but hard to get.....there's a comprehensive waiting list.

A close friend of mine drives a tube, and earns a small fortune, particularly with overtime.

I'd go for the overground option personally speaking, at least you'd get to see some daylight.

Source(s): Londoner

The training is for 6 months and after you will be driving the train with somebody else for at least another 6 months, and if you are capable, well you will be driving on your own. Meanwhile on training your wage will be between 150 to 200 pounds.

I know that trainee train drivers earn approx. £17-18k a year whilst training to drive the mainline trains so I would imagine they would earn something similar.

I'm trying to get into driving the trains myself but I don't fancy driving on the Underground just because I'd be in the dark tunnels for most of my working life.