When should a Christian try to correct another Christian?

When is it proper for one Christian to confront / rebuke another Christian?

Favorite Answer

I believe it is in the book of Corinthians. The bible says to lovingly speak to your brother/sister in the Lord. If the christian you speak to continues living in the sin then you bring another christian, in love, to speak to them. If that does not do it you are to bring it before the congregation. All of which should not be done in harsh judgement, but in love are concern for the other christian's soul.

I correct Christians when I see them judge other people and disrespect other beliefs. To me, love and tolerance are the cornerstones of the Christian faith. When I see some Christians diverge from this path, I have no problem trying to bring them back.

• Dena

If we see a fellow Christian that is willfully sinning. As a Christian, we can admonish them but you should first seek the Lord and pray and ask for God's guidance and wisdom in handling it. Do it with love and gentleness and let them know that any correction is thru your love and concern for them.

When you have established a good relationship with the other and both of you agree that each should be answerable to the other regarding each other conduct in the faith. It is necessary to build up trust in one another so that any correction is understood to be done in love and for the edifying, exhorting and comforting of each other. God bless you.

If you know that someone is doing something that is a sin, then you are to go to them yourself and let them know. They might not of known in the beginning that it was a sin. So by you telling them with a sisterly love then it will open their eyes. But the bible states that if they do it again after you have told them then you need to have the pastor of the church talk to them. But above all just pray for them and ask God to help them.

The Bible says that when another Christian makes a mistake, you should first take them aside and politely and gently tell them what they were doing wrong. Then, if that doesn't work, take them aside again, but with witnesses who will vouch for your honesty. If that doesn't work, then you confront them before the church.

As long as it is done gently and in love. Pretend the person is your brother/sister or mother/father or daughter/son and speak with them accordingly.

If it is gross immorality(sexual sin, stealing, cheating, deception, drunkenness etc.), there is sometimes no good way to say it, and the person may reject it.

If it is a minor point, you may want to approach it as a topic of discussion, or just let it drop.

Shortsey and Morganie are right. Pray a lot about it before doing it though. It also depends on the type of offense.

MATTHEW 18.

10"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.[a]

12"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

A Brother Who Sins Against You

15"If your brother sins against you,[b] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'[c] 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18"I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be[d]bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.

19"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Whenever they are doing something that is offensive to God or disagrees with the bible, but talk to them in a loving Christ-like way and privately.