Should registering to vote require a federal and state background check? What does Obama and Acorn think?

In this last election cycle, there was a great deal of controversy over the actions of groups such as Acorn. As most people know, getting a voter registration card is very easy in many parts of the country. The identity requirements in California are this: • A first-time voter who registers by mail must submit... show more In this last election cycle, there was a great deal of controversy over the actions of groups such as Acorn. As most people know, getting a voter registration card is very easy in many parts of the country.

The identity requirements in California are this:
• A first-time voter who registers by mail must submit a COPY of one of the following documents with his or her absentee ballot:
1) current and valid photo identification;
OR
2) current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter.

Basically, give them a name, and address, and a utility bill in that name and address. The utility companies do not verify identity, and so the name can be completely false.

Given how easy it is to generate a fake voter ID, wouldn’t it be in the best interest of the real citizens of this country to require a federal background check? The procedure would be to verify the social security number with the three credit bureaus, and then do a criminal search to insure that they are not a felon. That criminal search could be done with the same instant background check system used to buy a gun, it’s in place and available.
Update: From some of your answers, it appears that you think that the purpose of such a registration would be to restrict legal voting. That is not what I am asking about. From all I can see, this would have no effect on legal citizens voting. With a very few exceptions, all citizens of this country have social security... show more From some of your answers, it appears that you think that the purpose of such a registration would be to restrict legal voting. That is not what I am asking about. From all I can see, this would have no effect on legal citizens voting. With a very few exceptions, all citizens of this country have social security numbers and can get either a drivers license or a state ID card. This would fulfill the basic form of ID required. The credit bureaus are used to verify the link between the name and the Social Security card. ADP could also be used to do this. The instant background check for firearms has been online for years and works reasonably well. The only people that would not want to have their ID verified would be those that have something to hide.

This would not impact minority citizens, they have the needed ID.
14 answers 14