<Christians> Before the cross did everyone go to hell?

Before the crucifixion of Christ, did God sentence everyone straight hell, since there was no atonement of our sins?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • ozzy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

E-GAD,what a 'double-cross'

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Such an array of answers from people who are suppose to be educated. All different even if they are from the same denominations. Genesis 2:7 clearly states we are souls we do not have a soul, only God is immortal, and the Bible states that too. Ezekiel 18:4. When we die, we return to the dust from which we came. We go to our graves. Hell is the common grave of mankind. All who died before Christ went there and we continue to go there to wait for the resuurection. What sense does a resurrection make if we have immortal souls? Jesus taught the resurrection and he is the one who will resurrect us back to life. The ONLY exception is that now that Jesus Christ has been given the throne by his Father, the spirit anointed Christians who are in a special covenant for a kingdom with Jesus will upon their deaths, be transformed in the twinkling of an eye into spirit persons, a new creation, to meet up with the lord in heaven. The rest of obedient mankind will be resurrected back to life on a restored paradise earth to live eternally there. Deep isn't it, but all outlined in God's word. It is truly a shame that so many will not share in God's kingdom because they're so stubborn and stiffnecked that they won't accept the truth insisting they are going to heaven.

• 1 decade ago

Of course not, where do you think Jesus went after he died? to gather up all those who were waiting for Him to re-open the gates of Heaven that was closed to everyone since Adam's sin.

• We arent sure what happened to them. But we do know that Moses, Abraham, Elijiah, Job and Isaiah will be at the right hand of God on judgement day. So we don't really know. But the Bible says that God can't look upon the face of sin because he is so Holy. So only God knows where they ended up.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, of course not. Christ has always existed, and those who've trusted in God and loved Him have loved Christ, also.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." -John 1:1

• 1 decade ago

Of course not! (Moses, David, ALL others that followed 'them' as well waited in Paradise before The Lord God came and got them and took them to Heaven!)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They trusted in God for salvation (read Psalms, you'll see it) and went to wait in a place Jewish religion called the Bosom of Abraham,until their redemption was completed.

You can see Christ's reference to this place in Luke.... chapter 19 I think.

Jewish people used to believe that if you were Jewish, and you weren't a tax collector or a prostitute, you would go to heaven.

I wouldn't say that's precisely consistent with scripture, but scripture is not silent on it at all. Read Romans, and parts (or all) of Isaiah (esp. ch 66, and 53-55, and 56-65...)

• 1 decade ago

No the believers went to Abraham's bosom, and the others went to hell

Source(s): Rich man and Lazarus
  • 1 decade ago

no,

but the bible says very clearly that those who were sometimes disobedient in the days of noah, remained in spirit prision until then.

i dont think Adam was in prison, i dont think abel went to spirit prison and i dont beleive Enoch or elijah tasted death. Most likely abraham didnt either, however, the old testament says that there were only 3 persons saved in "their generations"

the answer has to be NO, but most did

Source(s): LDS doctrine warning.>>>> 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; D&C 138: 8, 28 8 “By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in aprison;
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no they went to paradise or Abraham's bosom to wait for Christ.

people like Abraham,David,Moses and others.

and no Christians did not invent hell like someone here said,hell was created for satan and his demons but man will be there if they reject Christ and his gift of salvation.

• 1 decade ago

I remember how my first grade teacher taught this to us.... Until Jesus was born, all the good people who would go to heaven, went into this waiting room. When Jesus ascended into heaven, He unlocked the door of the waiting room, and all those people went to heaven!

Now I realize that the "waiting room" is probably purgatory. Anyway, hope this helps.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.