Koneko asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What are the best techniques for keeping small dogs warm in particularly cold weather?

I have a miniature dachshund who needs to go to the groomer and vet today -- unfortunately, we've got six inches of snow on the ground and my fiance and I don't have a car so we rely solely on public transit. She has no dog clothes [she's litter box trained so walks are generally around the indoor part of the apartment complex during cold weather] and the only thing I can come up with is putting on her harness, wrapping her in a small blanket and then wrapping her in one of my winter coats and praying that the bus comes on time [holding her close to my body for shared warmth, of course] -- any other suggestions?

have a miniature dachshund who needs to go to the groomer and vet today -- unfortunately, we've got six inches of snow on the ground and my fiance and I don't have a car so we rely solely on public transit. She has no dog clothes [she's litter box trained so walks are generally around the indoor part of the apartment complex during cold weather] and the only thing I can come up with is putting on her harness, wrapping her in a small blanket and then wrapping her in one of my winter coats and praying that the bus comes on time [holding her close to my body for shared warmth, of course] -- any other suggestions?

Edit: This is for *today* and I cannot buy her specific pet clothes due to the buses not running to the pet store area -- it's lucky enough they're still running to her vet :x

Edit: This is for *today* and I cannot buy her specific pet clothes due to the buses not running to the pet store area -- it's lucky enough they're still running to her vet :x She weighs 13lbs and it'll be a tight squeeze to fit her in with me in the jacket but we should be fine. Thanks for all the suggestions!

lol I just got a call from the vet saying they're canceling all appointments for the day due to the weather. Thanks again for the responses, though!

Favorite Answer

Just wrap her up and carry her....she should be ok

A friend of mine has a Miniature pincher. We live in alaska. She bought little booties for her dogs feet, so she can walk outside for long periods of time and she buys her little dog doggie sweaters and doggie jackets all the time. She has a little wardrobe. Some of these sweaters have hoods and everything. They keep the dog pretty warm.

Well, it's for today huh? I guess all you can do is try to wrap her in one of your sweaters and carry her. How cold is it outside? I know that she should be fine for about an hour or so if it's above ... oh probably 25 degrees. How much does she weigh?

well i think your idea is a pretty good one for the time being and then as soon as you get the chance to get to the store buy some of the doggie clothes, i have been there and done that and i understand the need to keep the dog warm and yes the blanket does work as lone as you are not in the cold too long

If there's a petsmart near your city, go buy her a jacket after christmas, they usually go on sale then. In the meantime, wrap her in a blanket should be just fine. You should try to get a heated blanket that you can take with you or one of those gel pad that you can use as a heating and cooling pad..like one of those thing walmart sell for pain..you can freeze it or heat it in the microwave...that should keep your dog warm.

Put her inside your jacket with her head popping out the top of the zipper, keep one arm inside your jacket to hold her there. The body heat from you will be enough to keep her warm. Don't overdo it with all the blankets and such b/c she could get too hot. Unless it's below zero where you are, just the body heat from inside your jacket will be fine.

Source(s): working with animals for 9 years
  • Old Navy has a bunch of clothes for smaller and bigger dogs, that are really inexpensive and cute. I have a chihuahua, and i only put a jacket on him if its cold, and the clothes from Old Navy are great

Source(s): Old Navy

If it's small enough to fit in a bag, use a bag/dog carrier. If not, let the dog walk through the snow or take a cab.

give your doggy a potato sock, i heard if you put a baked potato in a sock, the heat will last 3 hours, thats what they offer to the homeless people to keep them warm through the winter seasons

Apart from a dog coat, that's pretty much all you can do. Should be fine : )

• Put her inside your coat. Your body heat and your coat will keep her warm.