Why is Yoko Ono blamed for breaking up The Beatles?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Mary
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

I think it was, John Lennon chose Yoko Ono over the Beatles.

I think they were already broken up before the time they announced that they were-- I think John Lennon wanted to officially anounce it some years before, but-- was it Paul McCartney? He didn't want to, but I think, he was the one who made it real later, without permission or something-- or maybe without notice I should say.

I think John Lennon felt that the Beatles were becoming fake, and the public had this image of him that wasn't really him, so he showed them that it wasn't just fame he was seeking, or public approval. He was going for something higher, or different.

Also Yoko Ono, John Lennon called her "Mother"-- it's said she was the one who saved him, or became his best friend, when he cried Help!.

John was so attached to her that he took her to their band sessions. It was an unspoken rule that no one but the Beatles members would come to those gatherings, but he took her, and I don't know if he gave her a choice.. she probably felt uncomfortable.

People continued to not like her, even when John was with her. She was this advant garde artist, and she had this sculpture, and the people at the gallery didn't even take any precautions that it not fall down. No rope or anything. And when they walked in, there was hostility... so John and Yoko just sat on the stairs, and people kinda stepped over them or something.

Source(s): I read a book called Memories of John Lennon-- or I think that's what it's called. It was edited and put together by Yoko Ono... nice book, artistic (ha! : ) People who were connected to them (well, to John) gave their memories and reflections on how the Beatles (and John) affected them... maybe it would be a good read for you.
  • Bonna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No. I don't blame Yoko at all. The Beatles were already growing and moving in separate directions before Yoko came onto the scene. They were all tired and looking into other interests personally and professionally. The fact that John was at his happiest when with her was beside the point. Yoko's very public presence and the public's general dislike of her made it easy for all to blame Yoko. I think they were already headed for a break. Yoko just provided a convenient excuse for it's happening.

• 6 years ago

She wasn't the only factor but she gets blamed for it because in the films that exist, she is clearly a giant obnoxious thorn in the side of the recording sessions. ANY PERSON with ANY MANNERS would've INSISTED that they leave.

You don't have the EGO to get in the way of the Beatles creative process. That is just beyond arrogant. That said, the Beatles could not last forever, or maybe they could, but John and Paul had serious problems to sort out, as did George.

I'm sure being at the center of that much fame was tiring as well. It could have been quite easy to say goodbye to the circus. Unfortunately, post 1980, there's a good chance in my opinion that they might've done another record had Lennon lived.

• 1 decade ago

The consensus seems to be that they were going off in their own creative directions anyways, about the same time Ono came along. Fans couldn't accept that idea, so they fixed blamed on the only tangible difference they could see at the time, and that was her. Unfair, I think, but who knows for sure? Even their various biographers differ...

But I'll be sure to ask John when I get to heaven.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because people feel that Yoko tore John Lennon away from the group.

• 1 decade ago

Because she was to tight with John Lennon and nobody could get around John! He was always defending Yoko!

• 1 decade ago

because she is said to have teared john lennon from the group, but they were sooo in love. so its good it happened i guess, but i am a huge beatles fan!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because people needed a scapegoat. It was gonna happen anyway.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Different reasons. People also said she used him for his money.

• 1 decade ago

because she was a b.

And Lennon was so in love with her that he dissed his boys... Lennon did make great music alone too...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.