Does this sound like a fair view of Muslim countries? ?

I like to think of myself as a non-racist, open minded person. But I've noticed some worrying things about Muslim countries and Muslims in Europe recently:

In England, Muslims threatened to boycott the popular chips company Walkers (Lays in the USA) because their products contained traces of alcohol, something Muslims cant consume. That's fine if they cant consume alcohol... but... boycott an entire company just because it doesn't satisfy them? The answer is to NOT EAT them instead of boycott them and ruin it for everyone else. Luckily their threats were empty and no changes were made.

In Denmark, some (really really funny) cartoons were drawn depicting the prophet Mohammed. Muslims in Europe were in uproar, threatening the cartoonists and European society as a whole (photos can be seen of Muslims carrying signs such as "freedom go to hell" and "get ready for the REAL holocaust").

I know not all Muslims are terrorists and that they are peaceful people, but consider this: several million Jews were wiped out during the holocaust. Did the Jews ever go around blowing things up? No. They suffered silently for centuries until the present day, persecuted for their beliefs. Never did they directly claim revenge.

The Muslims... a much more different story. I don' think Islam is a hateful religion, but it strikes me as a very intolerant and angry one. People in Muslim contries are still stoned and punished for crimes such as adultery.

A Dutchman, Theo Van Gogh, was killed in his home country for criticising Islam. He criticised all relgiions, yet a young Muslim killed him for his views of Islam.

I have heard Muslims talk to each other and they all agree thet their religion is "the true religion" and make fun of Christians.

Some of them want the Sharia Law imposed in England.

A lot of thius sounds negative, because, well, I couldn't think of anything positive to say.

I'm not discussing all faiths, just Islam.

That isn't right to say they will all break away form their religion, because their families impose it on them at a young age.

They boycotted it by campaigning against it. If I don't eat Heinz Ketchup, am I boycotting it or just not eating it?

Ibrahim I clarifies another point: a lot of Muslims show signs of wanting to control the world.

There were only tiny traces of alcohol in the Lays, not large amounts.

I wouldn't care if someone drew Jesus in a cartoon and made fun of him because I believe in freedom of speech and expression.

Thankyou Atchria for claering my mind a bit. I suppose I was being a bit ignorant. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Islam is not compatible with the West. Islam needs an enlightenment and an age of reason. Until then it will remain the most backward and dogmatic of all the religions. Some of the problem stems from western foreign policy in the middle east, propping up dictatorships for oil. This has caused crazy wahhabi doctrines to become more attractive to the people of the middle east and beyond. The world is suffering due to all religions. Christianity has the potential to wreak havoc on the world as well.

I would like you take a look at the age of the extremist terrorists (note, i did not say Muslims). They are young and from what things have come from this, the elderly do not fully agree with how the young are taking things into their hands - it is not how THEY would have done it, nor how they would show their opposition of what was going on.

I would also like to point out that Muslims are always going to have this "terrorist" cloud over their head. It's just how life is, though it may not be fair. Not all Muslims are terrorists. Those who are terrorist and claim that they do their work for Allah, are NOT Muslims. They don't follow the word of Allah - they've misinterpreted it into their own way to make it okay for them to do what they want.

Now, take a look at history - you're comparing the Jews to Muslims - don't even go there because even though the Jewish people do not truly fight, you're putting them on a pedistal.

I would also like to point out that the Muslim nations are very very old in nature; many people living there have not progressed to today's world of how things are done. They will not - and strongly feel - that the western world is very tainted and that their young are being tainted. It's sort of sad to say that many people there in these countries are still living in the past; how things were ran, believed, and felt will always be there. I'm not saying they are slow, but they have not come very far in the ways of understanding and moving foward. They are a very proud and overly protective people of anything insulting or offending their beliefs - something in which needs to be rid of in them as it's childish and very retarded.

Anyhow, this is just my opinion.

1. Would you want your young 3 year old son to get drunk while eating Lays?

2.What would of happened if there was a cartoon about Jesus doing the same thing as in the Denmark cartoons?

3. Jews suffered "silently" because they had no means of fighting back...until they were given Palestine to take over... now their true hearts and minds are emerging.

4 I disagree that Muslims make fun of Christan because it is part of our faith to believe that Christianity is real and was sent down by God, any person making fun is NOT a Muslim

Actually, boycotting is basically the same thing as what you're talking about...just not eating them. They're doing what a lot of Americans do, making their voices heard is all...they're simply saying they won't eat them...they're not blowing up buildings or rioting.

And as for the Denmark incident, how would YOU feel if your whole religion and way of life was smeared in such a manner, all for the sake of "freedom"? I can't blame them for protesting...but did they kill anyone in these protests, or simply carry signs and chant (something VERY common in America in the 60's)?

What you're talking about are offshoots of the main religion itself. Every religion has its zealots. Remember, here in the U.S., people were burning black churches and bombing family planning clinics...all in the name of Christianity? Every faith has its psychos and you shouldn't judge all Muslims just because of random batches of idiotic ones.

1. Islam is not a race and I am sure your not trying to be discriminative. 2. Feel free to ask away.... How do terrorists affect you? Yes they scare me. Terrorists have been part of my life in the UK as long as I can remember the IRA around. As for any other type of terrorist Muslim or not, of course they do. Me and my family use london transport, fly in planes etc we are at rise of being a victim of terror as anyone else. I have taken my children countless times on that train route in London to Edgewear rd, where the terrorist attack occurred. I dont think the guy cared about any ones faith on that trains and buses that day do you? I certainly dont ''appreciate'' them and I cannot even conceive in which way someone could. I dont think they are a disgrace to Islam as their actions have nothing to do with Islam just as the IRA has nothing to do with Catholicism or UDA with Christianity. Dont worry you dont sound naive or stupid, you dont know if you dont ask right? Its nice that you are asking our opinion rather than what some do and tell us what our opinion is. So thank you for at least asking and not assuming, good for you.

Have you ever been to a Muslim country? If you had, you might have a different view of Muslims.

Not to eat the chips amounts to a boycott, what do you think it means.

Jews are the most bloody minded race I have ever seen, and now they are supported bu the US. I find it ironic that they weresubjected to the holocaust but are trying to do the same to the Palestinians as was done to them

Yadda yadda yadda...first of all Muslims are not a race. They hail from every corner of the Earth. Are you complaining about Arabs?

I don't know about the U.K. but here in the U.S. we have hundreds of White Christian Identity groups that commit murder and mayhem. They plot against the government and blow up abortion clinics. All in the name of their faith.

If you don't want to be associated with bad Christians, you don't have the right to lump bad Muslims in with the rest.

You can't find anything positive to say about islam because there really isn't any.

It's a disgusting death cult that only destroys, it cannot build or make the world a better place.

The sooner people realize that simple fact, the quicker we can start removing it, like any other cancer, from society.

• Aporia

Fair? No. Generalizing people with little regard to context is never really all that fair.

don't blame the people, blame the lack of education enforced by the government. how would you be if you weren't educated to think the way we are? we're all just products of our environment.