Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthHealth & Well-BeingFirst Aid · 1 decade ago

Has anyone flown with an ear infection/blocked ear?

I have had an ear infection and it still hasn't cleared up after 5 weeks - still blocked behind eadrum and lots of ringing in the ear. I am on a 9 hour flight in 12 days and I am petrified it will hurt. Has anyone flown with the same problem and does it hurt? Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain - if I get any?

Favorite Answer

If you have an inner ear infection/blockage, I'd expect the flight to be uncomfortable - particularly if there are any rapid climbs / descents - depends on how blocked up you are. I've had this problem for the last 6 months - doctor recently gave me Cetirizine Hydrochloride Decongestant Tablets and Otomize ear spray, which is working.

Also, it could be wax in your ear - use plain olive oil for a week in each ear and then get your ears syringed to clear the wax. Even if you don't get them syringed, the oil will loosen the wax and the flight should be more comfortable. Worth a check with the doctor in any event!

Source(s): Regular flyer

I have been in this situation before! It blows!! I still have some dullness in my right ear after 2 years. As far as the flight is concerned it really got bad when we started to descend. I had no idea what was happening at the time I just knew I was in a lot of pain. My eardrum never burst but it was very painful. If I could do it all over again I would consult a doctor ahead of time and ask if there is anything you can do to be better prepared. I hope this helps.

• Saucy

Are you not on antibiotics?? 5 weeks of an ear infection can cause serious damage to your middle and inner ear and can spread... think meningitis, infection in the bone behind your ear, etc. You can also cause permanent hearing damage.

At this point, it's not going to go away by itself. If you go see a physician (preferably an ENT) today or tomorrow, it should be feeling a LOT better within 2-3 days, and you should be off antibiotics before you leave...

Source(s): Audiology grad student

I did, and I didn't know I had it until I was in the air. I was in agony from the changing air pressures on the infected ear. I wanted to vomit. Fortunately I had tylenol with me for pain and it was a four hour flight, but I couldn't walk straight when I got off the plane. I went to doctor that day and got antibiotics and to check that i hadn't blown my eardrum. It was PAINFUL.

Get it checked by a doctor, take antibiotics, and at least consider a decongestant before you fly.

Aerotitis, aka "blocked ear," is very painful and takes place when an ear does not adjust to the airplanes pressure changes. 1. Place an airline paper cocktail napkin in the bottom of a small wax-coated drinking cup (found at galley and lavatory drinking water dispensers). 2. Add boiling water from a galley hot-water spigot covering the paper napkin. If you quickly pour off the water, the napkin will steam. 3. After you are sure you have drained off every drop of hot water, tip your head and place the little cup with hot steaming paper over your ear. Pain eases in moments as the steam reaches your eustachian tube.

yes and it was the worst feeling ever. Then when I got off the plane I went on a 9 day cruise. It was HELL. The boat was rocky then I had a cavity that hurt like a b*tch. I also was sea sick and had a terrible ear infection. Worst 9 days of my lifeee

yes i have

it's fine

but it hurt a little

just squeeze your nose and breathe out, that unblocks them