Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

what is weight of jet engine?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

That depends upon which engine you're referring to.

Now the geeky stuff.

A CT7-8 engine found in the Sikorsky S92A helicopter weighs 542lbs

A Trent 900 series engine found in the Airbus A380 weighs in at 13842lbs.

So you see your question was too general.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Dan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The jet engine in a T-34 trainer can be carried in a man's arms. The jet engine for a B-777 needs a crane to lift it.

Regards,

Dan

• 1 decade ago

Whether the correct term is gas turbine or not depends on whether he meant gas turbine or jet engine. A jet engine is any engine which produces thrust in the form of a fluid jet. This would include rockets, electrically-powered ducted fans, ramjets etc (none of which are gas turbines) as detailled on the wikipedia page. Since most jet engines develop their power through a gas turbine, this is the usual interpretation. I would imagine that a large civil turbofan is the heaviest jet engine, and a rocket motor the lightest.

• 1 decade ago

pssst cherokeeflyer, a turboprop engine is a jet engine with a propeller on the front, i.e. it used a jet engine to drive a propeller. Retard, if you're going to correct someone check your facts out first!

Side note, why is it all the top contributors that get it wong?

Anyway, as stated above, it depends entirely on the aircraft, you can go from the very small low thrust output engines typicaly found on private aircraft, to the massive ones found on civil air transport aircraft

You might also want to look at the thrust to weight ratio of engines too, gives you a better look at the performance of the engine etc.

Hope this helps

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • edit: correct you are mias burns, a turboprop engine is a jet engine with a propeller I must have been thinking (or lack of) turbocharged . The insult was unnecessary. and to accuse those that answer MANY questions (hence dubbed top

contributer) of always being wrong, I invite you to step up to the plate and keep us informed with your superior knowledge.

for weight of many jet engines see...

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/reference/Jet_En...

• 1 decade ago

And while we are on the point of correction the correct term is 'Gas Turbine' .

• 1 decade ago

I'm going to guess 2 and 1/2 tons.

• 1 decade ago

how long is a piece of string

• 1 decade ago

how far is it to there and back

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.