I am inhaling stomach acid into my lungs when asleep?

For years I have suffered with acid reflux as a result of taking inflammatory drugs I have a inflamed and scar-rd wind pipe and my oesophagus is not closing properly due to inflammation(results of tests two years ago.

I have now been inhaling stomach acid into my lungs at least three or four times a week in my sleep for the last six months which is painful and very frightening I am waking up choking on this acid

I saw a specialist today and the only advice he could give me was to tell me to lose weight (I am 2 stone over weight) and to raise the head of my bed by six inches.

I was told by my GP that made the appointment with the specialist that under no circumstances should I be inhaling stomach acid into my lungs as it can be dangerous.

What do I do next thanks

I should have said that i have gaviscon and take losec and metoclopramide all for acid reflux

I know it'll be uncomfortable, but you should not sleep flat anymore. (At least until you've found the cause of this problem) You can get beds that tilt like that, you would probably want a full tilt one, rather than a just upper back tilt bed, as it would be better for your back. You may be able to loan one of these beds for free if it helps with a medical condition.

Whatever you do, do not continue sleeping how you are, if it's causing you this much discomfort now...you can multiply that by 10 in years to come if you do nothing. If you suffer through 'sleeping uncomfortably' now, it could save you years of chest trouble.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Doctors want to help you, but they always need a good shove in order for things to happen quickly. If you want a solution to your problem fast you'll need to be in their face all the time so that they can't wait to cure you in order to get you out the door.

Source(s): loaned one of these beds & experiance of NHS treatment

Stomach Acid In Lungs

inhaling stomach acid lungs asleep

• Matt A

Yes it is dangerous. Do try o raise your bed 6-8 inches by putting blocks or something under the bed "legs".

You may want to try not eating or drinking anything for 4 hours or more before bed. Try some OTC acid reducers like Pepcid or Prilocic. If that doesn't work ask the doc for a prescription strength antacid.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

You can get rid of acid reflux and heartburn with this natural method http://acidreflux-cure.info

Usually, heartburnThe most common symptom of acid reflux disease (also known as gastroespohageal reflux disease, or GERD). Heartburn feels like a burning pain in the center of the chest. It is caused by acid from the stomach backing up into the esophagus. is a symptom of acid reflux disease (GERD) Also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). Describes the condition of backflow of stomach acid into the esophagus which frequently happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes more often than it should and/or at inappropriate times. The symptoms of acid reflux disease typically occur on 2 or more days a week.. And if you suffer from persistent heartburn on two or more days a week—and you’ve treated it and changed your diet—it could be due to acid refluxBackflow of stomach acid into the esophagus. Acid reflux frequently happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes more often than it should and/or at inappropriate times. This allows harsh stomach juices to back up into the esophagus. disease. But only your doctor can tell you if these are signs of acid reflux disease.

have you had a blood test for a H pylori infection of your sphincter, this is the leading cause of gastric reflux and gets overlooked so very often and is easy to treat, you just take 3 courses of different antibiotics in a week(you will feel like crud) and you never have a problem again. other than that their are surgical options, it is extremely dangerous to aspirate stomach acid as it will destroy lung tissue, be persistant and see a specialist.

The UK’s University of Exeter studied effective weight-loss techniques and concluded that cravings is usually countered by a brisk stroll. How very British.

Take a tip from the yoga pga masters and breathe... more oxygen inside your cells means more fat is burned away. Breathing exercises such as those practiced in yoga are an easy addition to your daily fat reduction regime.

• ?

prepare a lesser amount of food