Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

How increase speed of my 20 mb virgin media broadband ? Too much slow during middle afternoon and night :(?

We live in coventry and buy 20 Mb broadband with virgin media but we have problems during during middle afternoon and night, connexion became very slow, for example we can download at 300 ko during morning but only 55 ko during night ...

How to change this in netgear wizard, what must i change ?

(sorry my english is not very well)

I know there is something to do to unlock speed but i don't know how doing this.

There is other people who have the same problem, our password has not been stolen. I know its during peak hours but with 20 mb it should be faster ...

• David

Virgin may be traffic shaping your speed - read this link

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traf...

Its got nothing to do with your router is down to your ISP either capping the speed or too many users on the internet. Also don't forget your dependent to some extent on the website you are downloading from - if they have a slow connection or poor contention ratio then you will be restricted at their end

It really depends on what you are downloading. Or better, from where. Remember the internet is a global thing, when you go to bed someone at the other end of the globe wakes up.

The router's settings are probably fine. There isn't much you can 'unlock' on your side to make it go faster anyway.

Your internet speed depends on how heavily your isp and indeed the internet is being used. In the afternoon and evening more users are online and therefor network speeds slow down. Different isp's may be less affected but there will still be some effect no matter which one you choose!

I guess it just slows down during peak hours.

Someone might be piggybacking you, ask Virgin how to change your password, might help...

You got mugged you idiot.

I get the same speed as you at 1MB

• John

2 secs...