amandaashley6 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How to keep my dog warm when walking her in the cold?

I have a Chocolate Labrador Retriever. I will be moving to North Dakota in during next summer and I plan on bringing her with me, but I am a little apprehensive about the cold weather. I know that it regularly gets below zero during the winter up there and that there is usually alot of snow on the ground. I'm not worried about myself, but for her. Her coat is short and not very thick. I don't think she will be able to walk in the cold for 30 minutes or an hour, and not freeze her tail off! I was just wondering if it would be safe to even take her on walks or if I would need to find another way to get rid of her energy. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

A lab will be fine! I have a six month old lab X border collie the i just took for a 2 hour walk in -20 weather with 2 feet of snow on the ground, as long as she is moving she will be fine! Just dont leave her in the yard to sit in one spot for 2 hours in the snow, even with a dog house she would be good outside for hours. Worry more about yourself then the pup! She will love the snow!! If you are going to go for a 8 hour snow shoeing venture you might want to look into little boots and maybe a sweater but i doubt she will need it!!

• Large breed dogs usually don't have a problem with very cold weather for short times like going for a walk. You could get a her a light dog sweater on petedge.com, they have good prices but you have to get a big order to avoid an extra fee for shipping like around $60. They also make dog booties which might be a good idea to protect her feet from the salt used to melt snow & ice.

Labs are pretty good in colder weather, however, if when you walk you see she is shaking, she may need to have a coat or sweater to help retain her body heat. You could also get little rubber booties to put on her to help keep the snow from accumulating between her paw pads (if she will tolerate them). Remember, as you are walking, she is expending energy which will keep her body temperature up and help keep her warm.

• Lizzie

Many companies make sweaters and coats for dogs that are functional, not just silly looking or for fun. I would suggest a web search on large dog coats.

Buy a dog coat for her. All my dogs wear coats when for when we walk in the cold weather.

• JenVT

She will acclimate to the weather with no problem. most labs like the cooler weather and do quite well in northern climates. 30 minutes might be fine for her, unless it is below zero, then you will want to take her out just to do business. My guess is that you will want to go in before she does :-)

Source(s): lived in VT for 37 years.

like JenVT said she will get used to the weather. but if you are worried you could buy her a dog coat when it's really cold i guess.

you could always make her a little jacket or buy one from petco or petsmart

you also could buy her baby booties for her feet or again they also sell those

but dogs are pretty good about the cold

you could also train her to use a treadmill, that's what my neighbor does

• Bob

I assure you that you will feel the cold before your dog will.

well they make doggy sweaters if that counts :)