What are the cheap supermarkets in Amsterdam?

Hi

I've just moved to Amsterdam and was wondering where the cheapest place to buy groceries is?

I've noticed that supermarkets like Dirk and Albertine(?) are quite expensive....are there cheaper places like Aldi and Lidl which we have in the UK?

Thanks!

Yes you have both Lidl and Aldi in and around Amsterdam - the same as the UK but the majority are on a smaller scales than the ones I have been to in the UK.

For Lidl, here is the homepage http://www.lidl.nl/nl/home.nsf/pages/i.home and then right at the bottom on the right, fill in 'Amsterdam' and then a pop-up screen will appear and you can enter the nearest postcode for you.

http://www.aldi.nl/ADR_NL/index.shtml is the store locator page for Aldi

You are right about Albert Heijn, it is expensive, but it has many things which Aldi/Lidl doesn't and does have a 'Euroshopper' brand for the basics (milk, tea etc) which is very cheap. AH caters more for quality than price e.g. you have to take care in Aldi/Lidl because of the amount of E numbers, fat content, salt content etc in some products there.

Dirk? Well personally I wouldn't have said it was that expensive. I just moved from A'dam where Dirk was my local supermarket, and where I live now, they don't have one and I do miss it actually -usually a really good selection and cheaper than AH (at least from my opinion).

Other supermarkets such as Jumbo are on the same level as Dirk, and then smaller ones like Super, Spar etc generally more expensive again.

One tip - look for the brochures that come through your door so you can shop around at the deals that are currently on in the different supermarkets. Also check out the local market where you live (often it is made up from a roaming market which is there just one day a week) - things like fruit, veg, meat and cheese are often cheaper here than in the supermarkets.

Hope this helps

• ?

Cheap Supermarkets

In Amsterdam Dirk van den Broek is the cheapest. There are several different methods to measure this. One is buying a amount of things and see how much that costs. Dirk is the cheapest by that method (in Amsterdam at least). See below.

Aldi and Lidl are sometimes cheap at specific items. In my experience the groceries are better than Dirk and cheaper. They are not mentioned on supers.nl but the Consumentenbond (consumers association) says they are cheaper than Albert Heijn and more expensive than Dirk. (You have to be a member to log in, but I recall this and on many items Dirk is really cheap.)

Source(s): http://www.supers.nl/ (prices) http://www.dirk.nl/index.php?page=4 (where are they)

Lidl Amsterdam

alberthein is pretty expensive though we always shop there.

Cheaper shops are Aldi and Lidl which both are in Amsterdam or Deen which also has a good quality.

Amsterdam is the capital of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, is one of the most used tourist locations in Europe; and you are able to visit it from with hotelbye . with its universities, academies, and study institutes, along with increased than 40 museums, numerous theaters, and leisure locations, Amsterdam may be the country's major cultural center and a great place to invest your holyday. In addition, Amsterdam is also well-known for its historic homes, laid out in a design of concentric segments in the design of a fan. Are some 6,750 structures dating from the 16th to 18th centuries are crowded in to an area of 2,000 acres, dissected by 160 canals, themselves house to varied houseboats.

Aldi, Lidl, and if you go to the Albert Heijn you can also buy euroshopper produts, they are very cheap. and in the super de boer they also have a cheap brand, but I dont know the name. it's white with blue and a € on it.

I stay in Amsterdam and not in any respect observed an Aldi. nutrients is very much less high priced right here and that i advise the food market chain Albert Hein. in case you like Aldi, you may might desire to shuttle to Germany.