A question about birthdays, age, life, experience, wisdom, and art?

This is a pretty general somewhat-question I've been thinking about lately. How would you link all or some of the words to each other, if you see a connection between them? Feel free to get to the point or ramble on, I promise not to bite or thumb-down. Just to think about (Don't feel like you have to answer all... show more This is a pretty general somewhat-question I've been thinking about lately. How would you link all or some of the words to each other, if you see a connection between them?

Feel free to get to the point or ramble on, I promise not to bite or thumb-down. Just to think about (Don't feel like you have to answer all of these questions. The most important thing is the connection, these are just food for thought) . . .

Do you celebrate birthdays as milestones in your life? Were your 13th, 16th, 18th, 21st, 40th, etc. birthdays significant to you at the time? Do you still feel that way about them afterward? Do you measure your life by how many birthdays have gone by? Do you equate the number of years you've lived with the experience you've gained? How about with wisdom? Do you make assumptions about others based on their age?

Finally, where does art of any kind come into the picture, if it does?

It looks kind of vague to me, but I was just wondering what your thoughts were.
Update: I didn't have a specific question about art, I was just wondering if anyone thought it would fit somewhere in the picture.
Update 2: Can I say that reader took my answer too? No? Well then . . . The only birthday I've considered important at the time was my 13th for no reason other than that I liked that number and everyone around me was excited for theirs. When I turned 18 in January it felt odd because nothing came along with it; no... show more Can I say that reader took my answer too? No? Well then . . .

The only birthday I've considered important at the time was my 13th for no reason other than that I liked that number and everyone around me was excited for theirs. When I turned 18 in January it felt odd because nothing came along with it; no sudden intelligence, no freedom, no independence, no brilliant insight. I knew there wouldn't be anything dramatic, but I hoped I would be proved wrong. I haven't celebrated my birthday since middle school since it really is only important to me as a kind of bookmark, and silly me likes to keep track of things since I have a bad sense of time.
Update 3: I measure my life in two ways. First, in terms of school and this is probably most important: there are two 'new years,' one in September, the other in January, and they're both fresh starts. Before January, time moves slowly and life is quiet. After it, time advances in chunks and life is speeding by.... show more I measure my life in two ways. First, in terms of school and this is probably most important: there are two 'new years,' one in September, the other in January, and they're both fresh starts. Before January, time moves slowly and life is quiet. After it, time advances in chunks and life is speeding by. I think my thinking's changed a lot (in a good way) since I started college, so that is a significant day. I also measure life as "before" and "after" the move we made in 04. It lasted two years and it had a really profound affect on my perspective, and I think it helped shape the way I act for the better. So I can see myself as two different people, the "before-" and "after-arbsq." Okay, so no, not birthdays.
Update 4: As for experience and wisdom, I don't think I have enough of the first to answer that. And since I see wisdom as a result of experience, I'm not qualified to answer regarding that one either. I'm not putting myself down here, don't worry. I honestly have no experience being independent. I still live... show more As for experience and wisdom, I don't think I have enough of the first to answer that. And since I see wisdom as a result of experience, I'm not qualified to answer regarding that one either. I'm not putting myself down here, don't worry. I honestly have no experience being independent. I still live at home, I don't own a car, I don't have a job, and my biggest responsibility is school/education. Which means that I have to excel at that to make up for everything else, and like you said, Vet, it doesn't necessarily. *sigh*
Update 5: I loved what everyone had to say about art! They weren't what I was thinking at the time I asked, but they are perfect answers, much better than mine ♥ I've always associated art of all kinds with the expression of emotion. And I can't separate emotion from thinking. Which means that art becomes kind of... show more I loved what everyone had to say about art! They weren't what I was thinking at the time I asked, but they are perfect answers, much better than mine ♥ I've always associated art of all kinds with the expression of emotion. And I can't separate emotion from thinking. Which means that art becomes kind of a manifestation of thoughts and their influence on emotions, and vice versa. It also gives life to the thought/emotion that cannot be expressed adequately with words. When I was thinking about the question of art in relation to life, I was thinking along the lines of a person -creating- art. The art becomes a chronicle of life; each work is an expression of thought/feeling at a certain point, with a certain wisdom and experience, at a certain age. Of course, looking at them years later may not elicit the same reactions it took to create the art, but it might, and it might also give some meaning to another.
Update 6: reader, I love what you said about other people's art making you feel what you felt when you were younger. "The art I love is the thing that links this me to that me and I would be nowhere without it." Some books do that for me too, and pictures my friend drew for me before we came back. For some... show more reader, I love what you said about other people's art making you feel what you felt when you were younger. "The art I love is the thing that links this me to that me and I would be nowhere without it." Some books do that for me too, and pictures my friend drew for me before we came back. For some reason, the day after we moved back to the US in 06, there was this smell (I know it's not art, but it's kinda related) in my nose. Not in the air, no one else could smell it. And every few months since then, I smell it again and it lingers for at least a week. I would never be able to describe it to anyone, but if I would I'd paint it in different shades of brown on a canvas. It doesn't bring back good memories either; it brings back the stifling panic, confinement, and helplessness I felt at fourteen. I hate that smell and love it at the same time.
Update 7: And on a different note, but since I mentioned birthdays; Dixie and Aß іηito joined Y!A ten days before I turned eighteen; reader, 12 days; xcando, 3 days before my sister's birthday; Plato, the day before my other sister's; Quintera, right smack between my (other) other sister's and my mom's; and... show more And on a different note, but since I mentioned birthdays; Dixie and Aß іηito joined Y!A ten days before I turned eighteen; reader, 12 days; xcando, 3 days before my sister's birthday; Plato, the day before my other sister's; Quintera, right smack between my (other) other sister's and my mom's; and Vet, on my cousin's (who is the same age as one of my sisters). What a coincidence :)

This will probably be the longest question in the history of long questions. If I could only pick more than one best! Really, you all deserve it, thank you all so much for answering. You have my never-ending gratitude.