?
? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Disoriented or Disorientated?

Which is correct? The Oxford English Dictionary says both are ok, but which one would be used, in the sense of saying someone's confused and/or a bit lost?

You can use either although the first tends to be used by Americans and the second by the English.

Disorientated Vs Disoriented

have not found a single reliable source american or english to support disoriented.

By all accounts the only proper word is disorientated which is the more logical choice anyway.

people just use the other because its easier.

Disoriented

Either will work but I would go with disorientated. If you said someone was disorientated it would not be a verb it would be adjectival.

disoriented would be preferred if that's the sense.. because it's use as an adjective. . . while disorientated is a verb..

• Phil K

Lack of direction is disorientated. Like 'orienteering'. Americans struggle with words ;-)

I always am either or, so one way or another it does't really matter to me.I mean American, English who cares?I'll just go with the flow.Maybe one day I'll find the orient, who knows?On the other hand,who cares?God I'm mixed up!!

• the 2nd one

hahaha i agree

americans pfft