?
Lv 6
? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Disoriented or Disorientated?

Which is correct? The Oxford English Dictionary says both are ok, but which one would be used, in the sense of saying someone's confused and/or a bit lost?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

You can use either although the first tends to be used by Americans and the second by the English.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Disorientated Vs Disoriented

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

have not found a single reliable source american or english to support disoriented.

By all accounts the only proper word is disorientated which is the more logical choice anyway.

people just use the other because its easier.

• 1 decade ago

Disoriented

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Either will work but I would go with disorientated. If you said someone was disorientated it would not be a verb it would be adjectival.

• 1 decade ago

disoriented would be preferred if that's the sense.. because it's use as an adjective. . . while disorientated is a verb..

• Phil K
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Lack of direction is disorientated. Like 'orienteering'. Americans struggle with words ;-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I always am either or, so one way or another it does't really matter to me.I mean American, English who cares?I'll just go with the flow.Maybe one day I'll find the orient, who knows?On the other hand,who cares?God I'm mixed up!!

• the 2nd one

• 1 decade ago

hahaha i agree

americans pfft

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.