Jehovah's Witnesses, if an unbeliever gave you a lottery ticket and it was a winner, would you keep the money?

I say, keep it. Jo Ho's believe gambling is wrong, but in this case, you risked nothing. The principle of greed, where you make a lot of money by wagering a little I don't think applies here, as you would have risked nothing.

This applies to all who think gambling is morally wrong, not just Jo Hos.

Just curious how you would answer. This is not an apostate trap or trick question.

The way it would look to the community makes sense. Even though The Jo Ho did not gamble it would look like he did buy the ticket.

So a Jo Ho would not take a ticket in the first place. Also. makes perfect sense.

As a JW I would take the money, reasoning that I did not gamble. Of course now, I would actually buy the ticket.

But you have just as much of chance winning the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

Most Jo Ho's would not take the money or even the ticket.

Keeping integrity to what you believe. Good one Jo Ho's. Walk the walk and talk he talk!

All my JW family play the lottery. They just get my grandma (apostate but way too old to be a threat) to hobble and wobble off to the corner shop and smack down some serious pension cash for 20 lottery tickets a week. That way they haven't bought the ticket but if it wins they'll be stinking (like always) but rich too......

If I win... They aint getting a penny =)

Likely the Witness would not accept the winning ticket--or if he did, he would face discipline by the congregation. In such a case, the Witness could not be disciplined for "gambling" per se because because he did not gamble. He simply took a free gift.

But here's why the Witness would get in trouble. It's all about appearances. See, if the community learned that a JW was a lotto winner, this would "bring reproach upon the organization/Jehovah" (the 2 words are used interchangeably quite a bit...)

Thus, it seems to me that if a Witness took a winning lotto ticket, he would be on the fast track to being disfellowshipped.

Sorry, Adam and Barbara - The JW organization does not send out letters to anyone for any reason. However individual witnesses who cannot for some reason go from door to door, often mail letters to people in order to witness to them. We have been asked not to give our home address on the letter for safety's sake but rather to use the return address of the kingdom hall. We take our commission from God, to preach His message all over the world, very seriously and all witnesses do the best they can whether it is going from door to door or to businesses, bus stops, grocery stores, on the phone, through the mail or on the computer. It is important that we reach as many as possible before the end. Noah was only given 40 years to spread the message of warning and salvation until the world was wiped clean. This, however is the last time and God is generously giving us a little more time to reach as many as we can. He does not want any one to die. We know how important this is and we do everything we can to reach you. We are not fanatics who have formed our own religion. We are people just like you who have seen the falsehood of "religion" and have come out of it, just as the bible tells us to do and are following Jesus' teaching as best we can in the hope of surviving Armageddon. If you get a letter from one of us, please read it. It may your only chance. Matthew 24:14 Revelation 18:4

A true Jehovah Witness would not accept the lottery ticket at all. If they did they would be condoning gambling. JW know and believe that gambling is wrong in any shape or form.

If they accepted it and it turned out to be a winner, went ahead and cashed it and even told no one about it...it would not go unnoticed by Jehovah. Also that so called JW really would already know this so they are not even fooling themselves into thinking they are hiding it from Jehovah at all.

It would end up being something that would bother their conscience and they would hopefully turn to Jehovah in prayer for help and for forgiveness. Turning to the elders for help also would be a good idea. It would show repentance on the part of that one which is very important.

One is not going to be disfellowshipped just for accepting a lottery ticket. The elders of course would offer counsel to them and leave it in their hands to do the right thing from now on.

If it didnt bother their conscience then they are really in trouble spiritually and probably have been falling out of the Truth slowly anyway. A seared conscience would end up leading one into making more mistakes.

But hopefully it wouldnt get that far and they would end up realizing they need help, make changes and show repentance.

Jehovah looks for opportunity to forgive us for our mistakes. It just takes action on our part to try our best to not make them and when we realize we have sinned/ made a mistake.. to pray for forgiveness, ask for help from the elders and show by actions that we are no longer taking part in that behavior.

• ?

jehovahwitnesses unbeliever gave lottery ticket winner money

• Keema

Yes, gambling by proxy. My girlfriend has a JW daughter. Her and the daughter would buy horses and sell them for profit. (horse dealer). She would buy the horse and have her mom, (my friend) do the selling since sometimes lying would be involved. I call that lying by proxy. Hmmmm

every time I ask a question, even if it's the simplest one, they cannot give me a proper informed answer on this site. what happened to people who actually make the effort to answer..

Of course they wouldn't keep it! They would donate every penny to the organization, just as they are "encouraged" to do! Everybody knows THAT!

A JW would not take it in the first place.

I'm no fool yes!