Friends in the UK: How does Mr. Obama's victory affect your feelings towards America?

I posted a similar question weeks ago in which many people responded with cynicism towards Mr. Obama's chances of winning the Presidential election (I was somewhat doubtful myself). But now that he has won, I am hopeful that his character and open-minded policies will strengthen America's relationship with the... show more I posted a similar question weeks ago in which many people responded with cynicism towards Mr. Obama's chances of winning the Presidential election (I was somewhat doubtful myself). But now that he has won, I am hopeful that his character and open-minded policies will strengthen America's relationship with the world, especially in Europe, where for many years we have been criticized (rightfully so) for the ignorance, arrogance, and cultural insensitivity of our government and many of our citizens.

Having said that, Mr. Obama's ascent to the highest office in the land is a landmark achievement of race relations and social mobility in the western world, and I am proud to be a citizen of the country which facilitated this most unlikely progress. While, as a liberal American, I could only hope to see the United States ascend to the level of cultural vivacity and open-mindedness that is so characteristic of European society, I feel that we have, in a way, won an astounding victory. No longer can you condescendingly turn your noses up at our ignorance and lack of tolerance. As I mentioned before, many Americans have admired your society for its many endowing gifts, but having said that, I struggle to find an instance in which you have produced a leader such a s Mr. Obama who embodies racial reconciliation. Equiano maybe? Keith Vaz? Nevertheless, I'm certain that Obama's success will inspire countless young minorities to seek elected office, many of whom would have otherwise had little incentive or opportunity to do so.

Does Obama's victory reconcile any contemptuous views of America that you held? Does it revive the notion that America is "the land of opportunity?" Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Update: Chris: You embody the "ignorance, arrogance, and cultural insensitivity" that I mentioned in my question.