Why do I need Windows XP?

Hi

This may seem a really thick question but its genunie. I have today purchase a minilaptop and it just has the basics on it which is great fo rme as Im a complete novice at anythng to do with technology.

However, I have been browsing and noticed some mention about windows XP and Vista, pls tell me what is this and do I need it?

Thankyou

Sorry if my question is vague..

My minilaptop is an acer110, and as I said its basic, but I can watch youtube and upload vids and pics..so why do i need xp..or do i need it??

Windows XP and Windows Vista are operating systems. You already have one on your laptop, and the packing or documentation should tell you which one.

Most mini laptops are not powerful enough for Vista.

Your operating system may be Linux, instead of Windows XP or Vista. If so, you can only use software that is made to be run on Linux, but with a mini-laptop, you probably won't be adding software anyway, will you?

u don't necessarily need xp. u can have some other type of operating system too. xp is just better than microsoft windows 1.0 because microsoft windows 1.0 is not compatible with as many softwares as xp is.

u cannot do anything on a computer without having some type of operating system. u couldn't go on the internet or anything else either. it is necessary to have an operating system when u have a computer that u intend to use. it doesn't matter wat type of operating system u have (xp, vista, etc.) but the latest softwares are more compatible with the latest operating systems. for example, microsoft windows 2007 supports the operating systems Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 1, and Windows XP Service Pack 2. microsoft word 2007 does not support any operating systems other than the ones mentioned above so having a more recent operating system can help u out a lot.

• Jesse

Windows XP and Vista are operating systems. XP and Vista are different versions of the Windows family. They are what draw what you see, and allow more complex applications like Internet Explorer or Office to run. A computer without an operating system is essentially useless (though it is not hard to put one on). There are many free operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD, which take the place of Windows.

• Tom S

Vista is a newer system, it will depend on the applications you intend to run. Some are not yet compatible with the newer Vista operating system, others may require the new system.

DO NOT GET VISTA!!!!! It's an extension of the XP software that bewilders the crap out of your computer. (re-starts, slowness, ext) Windows XP is basic software that supplies you with features and compatibilities ie Microsoft word, excel ect ect. That's what I know, I'm sure I'm missing things

• pditty

Most new computers come with everything you need as far as the operating system (Windows). Your message is pretty vague, so more specifics would help.

If it's doing everything you need it to, don't worry about it.