Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

If You've Ever Self Harmed?

Firstly, please no immature answers - thank you. :]

I used to self harm in the past but even when I did, it still hurt.. it made me feel better mentally but physically it was sore.

I know this doesn't happen to everyone so I was just wondering, if you've ever self harmed did it hurt?

I know some people like, get so much release from it, it can be totally pain free.

When i cut myself, it was painful yes but I was always in a very strange state of mind and could feel it hurting but i dont think it hurt as much as it would have normally. I was more sore i suppose not really pain as such.

The adrenaline numbs a lot of it.

Generally in my opinion 'self harm' is natural and very important. Self harm can be defined in many different ways. When a jogger runs till it burns, when a typist types till they have sore wrists, when a reader reads till they have bloody eyes. They pain is an expression of sorts. It doesn't certainly mean you need help. Perhaps the only time someone would need help would be when they performed or created an injury and it DID NOT hurt. Unless you are a paraplegic of some sort. Perhaps you need to explore the reasons why you do harm to yourself. The most important idea is happiness. As long as what you do makes you happy and it doesn't harm anyone else than you should do it.

If you need to get help growing from inside I suggest you get a councilor. Express yourself verbally for the start for a while and (this is my opinion) do anything to avoid drugs of any sort. This includes anti-depressants, alcohol, just about anything illegal or legal. Good luck.

Source(s): Personal experience.

Well. I'm very young. I self harm. I do not recommend self harming, I don't like when people self harm, though it's very addictive, and In my opinion it's amazing. It burns and stings, the cold air stings it more, creating a build up of overwhelming pain. & it feels good. It makes things better, All that build up depression, and those words your called. They all fade out, your body numb as your skin puffs up, the blood starts beading, and a smile comes to your lips as in the moment the world stops. It freezes in place. Everything is better. You don't feel alone and empty anymore.

Hello I admire you for recognizing that there is now another way to help you heal yourself and your life. You may not know the exact way right now, but it will be revealed to you one step at a time. Hence your readiness to explain what you have been doing and how you want to change this. There is nothing soppy about telling the truth, infact that is probably what is needed for you to release all the emotions, self hatred, repressed anger, guilt, shame etc that has been stuck inside you for a long time. Stop worrying about what your mother will think or do, you never know this may be the catalyst to heal the relationship between the two of you. If its easier write a letter to her, either way just tell her and start the process of healing yourself and your life, you can do it. Lots of Love Misscpb xxx

I recently relapsed into self-harming behaviour. For me, it doesn't hurt when I'm doing it.

I only do it when I'm really desperate and just need something to calm me down. Then, I cut, and I hardly feel it at all. Then for several hours -a day, maybe - I'm completely blank. After that, when I start feeling mentally again, it starts to physically hurt.

I self harm by cutting. I don't feel any pain while doing it, but I feel it the next day but it's still not painful, just aching. I get a release form everything I'm feeling.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • ~

If you're suffering from much mental stress or your thoughts become too 'heavy' then it wont hurt as much as when you do it just out of habit. The mentality of the situation can make a person numb physically and kind of psyche them out.

If you do this, you should talk to someone about how you're feeling. Don't let it get worse or out of control and to the point of no return. If you like to write then write it all down (even if you throw it away). If you want to email me : ladypenny@ymail.com

• honey

My husband did it BECAUSE it hurt.......the whole point is to distract you from the mental and emotional pain/anxiety that you are experiencing.......he always found it hurt much more afterwards though, and was regretful......

I read a really good way to stop is to just put a big rubber band around your wrist, and flick it when you want to self harm....it hurts, but doesn't cut...no risk of infection, or bleeding..... just be careful of bruising...take it easy...swap arms from time to time......

i have selfed harmed 1 or 2 times

its hurts but it makes me feel better in a weird way

i never really self harmed alot just scratches and cuts

it was sore but not alot

• Mark

I have never dont it and cant understand why anyone would...but i no people do it and i feel for them..life is so short and precious you should make the most of it.

i no i may sound hypocritical as ive never been in that situation..all i can say is if your self harming talk to someone , don't bottle it up..there is someone out there always willing to help..