Root Canal on a dead tooth?

Ok so I had trauma to my tooth a few years ago and it left me with a broken front tooth. We had went to the dentist to get it fixed and looking like a tooth again. And recently went to the dentist to see if they could reshape it again cause the fake part of the tooth kinda chipped off. Well the dentist said my... show more Ok so I had trauma to my tooth a few years ago and it left me with a broken front tooth. We had went to the dentist to get it fixed and looking like a tooth again. And recently went to the dentist to see if they could reshape it again cause the fake part of the tooth kinda chipped off. Well the dentist said my front tooth is dead and that she needed to do a root canal on that tooth and the tooth next to it in order to reshape my tooth.

My question is , why do a root canal on a dead tooth?
Update: I've already had what they called a 'Gum Boil'. And that hurt like heck. But I havent had once since. I left it alone. My gum has been kinda bothering me for the past few days and I was just wondering what to do since the tooh was already dead .
Update 2: But if she said my tooth was dead doesn't that mean the nerve is dead?