buying houses and getting married?

Did you buy a house before or after your wedding?

or are you die hard renters?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

We didn't buy a house until we were married a year, but that was because we couldn't afford it until then.

Yep. Being broke sucks. But at least now I'm broke with a house :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We'll be renters for a long time. We live in Chicago, though, and are undecided if we'll want to continue living in the city in 10+ years, so we won't buy until we figure that out. Not to mention it's silly to buy anything in a major city. So expensive, and the property taxes are insanely high.

I think that couples who push to have their wedding and buy a house right away are crazy. Buying a house is a HUGE hasstle. Uusally there are lots of repairs and remodeling that goes with it, and unexpected renovations as well. The last thing I'd want is to have to worry about that while planning a wedding.

• 1 decade ago

We rented for about 2 years, but desperately wanted our own place. We bought a condo with a 0 down mortgage and now have a ridiculous payment every month. Renting is cheaper and I think just fine when you first get married. If you aren't doing so already, you need to learn to manage your finances together as a team, eliminate all credit card debt, and focus on your savings! SAVE for a house and take all the time you need to get there - it will be worth it in the end.

You are not throwing your money away if you are renting for less than what a mortgage would be.

• 1 decade ago

My guy & I both own our own homes, in two different cities! lol Once one of us finds a job in the other city, we'll move into the house in that city after we're married. Until we get married, who knows where the other one will live between the time one of us moves cities and the actual wedding. If he moves here, I will probably move back in with my parents and let him have the house until we're married.

Yes, rather complicated, but we're waiting till marriage, so this seems the best way.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

We're getting married in August of next year and are hoping to find a house before then. However he will move into our home before the wedding and I will after, because we don't believe in living together before marriage.

• Anne
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Our housing was complicated.

We both owned our own homes before getting married. We got married in April. My husband sold his house in March and moved into mine. We didn't believe in living together before marriage so I stayed with my parents for 6 weeks until the wedding. Post-wedding we lived in my house for a couple of months before selling it and buying a new house together.

I never want to move again!

• 1 decade ago

my fiancé and I will be buying our house before we get married. We are looking at a few houses right now. Our wedding isn't for another year but we are planning on buying a house in the next couple of months so we can decorate the house before we get married.

• 1 decade ago

We got married this past July, and we are buying a house next spring after our apartment's contract is up. For us, we didn't have the money to buy one right away, but we are going to still try to strike while housing prices are really low, and we're SO excited to own our own place and be able to decorate as we see fit.

• 1 decade ago

My fiance and I just bought our first house together. We aren't getting married until August of next year, but figured it was best to buy the home now. It needs a little work (new flooring and paint) and then he is going to move in during Feb.

=]

• 1 decade ago

We bought a house almost three years before what our wedding date will be (not getting married until next year).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.