hindbarsaft asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Are Bengal Cats really destructive?

I have a 1 year old male tabby cat (nietzsche) and would really like to have a Bengal cat/kitten.

From the information I have read on the internet the Bengal is an energetic and boyish cat.

I cringe when my cat claws the sofa. Is a Bengal a bad idea?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Hi there...like with any other cat it's difficult to tell how the personality will turn out once the cat matures.

Bengal cats "CAN" be great house pets, however there are some important things to note about their temperament and personalities. They prefer the company of other cats and most do get along with cats IF/WHEN the introductions are done correctly as this applies to ANY cats who meet for the first time. However, there are some who are the exception to this rule.

Bengals are a very hyperactive breed of cat well as extremely vocal and loud cats much more than Siamese cats. They are very demanding for attention and interested in everything their owners are doing. They certainly enjoy affection however only on their own terms as they rarely like being held or are lap cats. However, some are an exception to this rule. Ideally, they may not be a good fit for young children, because children want to cuddle and Bengals are far from being such a cat who likes to be restrained. If they are left alone for long periods of time it's best to have the company of another cat or dog, which is preferable or they can be quite mischevious as well as destructive as a result of loneliness and/or from boredom. But please do keep in mind sometimes they will bully other household pets regardless of their size or age so they are not necessarily a good fit.

Please consider speaking with Bengal breeders before purchasing one because these cats are very demanding in general. Some important information about Bengals. They should never be declawed as it leads to overcompensation with vicious biting since they have larger canine teeth than a typical domestic cat as well inappropriately soiling (urinating/defecating) around the home. Something we have witnessed too frequently with the rescues we take in.

Bengals should never be allowed to roam freely outdoors as they are apt to be stolen and later sold sometimes for profit. However, they will take to leash training easily and it is the safest way to give them some of the outdoor enjoyment. In some regions the Bengal cat is outlawed as a pet so be sure to check with your local humane society in your region to learn if they are legal. Georgia, Hawaii and a few other states have banned Bengal cat ownership.

Many Bengals require a healthier diet of closer to raw as many suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)--loose stools syndrome. Royal Canin 27 is generally what Bengal breeders use to feed their cats since this is highly endorsed with The Int'l Cat Assoc (TICA). There are premium brands such as Innova EVO or Nature's Variety Prairie (see other diets listed below) that help easy the problem with IBS. Any of the cat foods that contains the ingredient corn, corn meal (e.g. Iams, Science Diet, Purina, Whiskas, etc) causes severe bowel distresses so it's best to choose cat food products that steer clear of these ingredients.

To learn more about Bengals consider joining the Bengal Chat forum: http://www.chat24.oli.us/hdw/ or http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/ .

As a rescuer we always let new Bengal families know if in event there's a time in the future you are unable to keep your bengal perhaps to allergies, medical illness in the family or moving overseas, etc all responsible Bengal breeders WILL take their cats back (no questions asked) as it is their ethical agreement with TICA in the sale of the kittens. There are also Bengal rescuers located all over the world and we are also willing to help with rehoming if necessary. We try to keep Bengals from ending up in the shelters as many euthanize them quickly believing they are a wild cat and not safe as a pet, when in fact they are domesticated since they are four or more generations removed from their wild relative the Asian Leopard Cat (ALC).

Diets for Bengals:

Their diet should consist of very high protein rather than the usual commercial cat food, which contains corn, corn meal and preservative fillers... for example those would be: IAMS, Science Diet, Purina, Whiskas and many others...essentially, anything from the grocery store and pet stores. The reason being is that Bengals commonly suffer from lifelong Irritable Bowel Syndrome so if you live in a large metropolitan city look for a specialty pet store that carries any of the following products to help minimize his bowel distresses:

Innova EVO and/or California Natural: http://www.naturapet.com/

Nature's Variety Praire: http://www.naturesvariety.com/

Wellness: http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/

Life's Abundance: http://www.healthypetnet.com/

Source(s): KCPT Clicker Trainer to domestic and exotic cats Owner & Rescuer of Bengal cats 28 year friendship with a veterinarian
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Ok lets get rid of the CFA stuff that is their rule and thats how its been for years. Tica and U.F.O. both allow Bengals in for showing. I'm sure there are others around the world that allow Bengals. I have seven bengals not all are vocal I have 4 that are. They do fine with kids as long as the kids are nice to them. I have 3 sibilings one mother daughter pair and 2 non related bengals. Now I didn't get them all at the same time and in the begining there was fighting but it goes away. If you get 2 kitties at the same time there shouldn't a issue. My largest Bengal weighs 16 pounds. I have talked to breeders who have had 28 pound Bengals. IMHO Bengals make great pets they are very smart and full of energy.

• 1 decade ago

I really dont think a Bengal would be the best breed for you!

They can be quiet nasty towards other cats, they are VERY energetic and demand alot of time and attention.

Alot of bengals suffer with dodgy tummys too.

Why not pop along and get a cat from your local shelter ?

• 1 decade ago

Yes, they are not purely domesticated cats and even though I am sure they can be rewarding pets they need lots of stimulation. Even late generations ones are MUCH closer to their wild roots than domestic cats since there is no way they can replicate the domestication on normal cats since the time of the Ancient Egyptians.

YOu have to be particularly careful with finding a reputable breeder for that breed because of their history, you need to be sure that it is far separated from the wild cats and comes from someone that cares about the animal and not the "exotic" look or the price tag that goes with that look.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What ever your domestic cat can do, a Bengal can do ... Times Five.!!

Plus, you may find your existing cat will be dominated by the Bengal.

They're a lovely cat, but they're a cross between a Bengali wild cat, and a domestic, so they're not really 100% happy being either.

• izo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

;-) bengals are great, but expect your little kitten to bully your cat ..they like to be boss, we got ours as a 11week old kitten and he immediately made himself boss of my other 2cats ..they promptly left home and took up residence with our neighbours!! (that is a different story) and speaking for my cat, i wanted to keep him as a indoor cat, but he was a vicious little sod, very unhappy and stressed so we decided to let him come and go, ..he is micro-chipped (invaluable) he has so far been stolen twice, but he always gets back to us (mainly cos people find out he may look beautiful but he is evil when he is not allowed his freedom..) we have a toddler so there is no way we could keep him indoors ..(he is not fussy who he chews!!)

the plus side.. he is SO affectionate (when he feels like) we have a dog (a staffy) and if we ever get burglars my money is on the cat to attack, my dog would lick them to death!!! they are really vocal when they need/want something ..you will know all about it if he is hungry/hot/cold/ wants to play!!!! and he has to have a cup of water!!!

bengals are great and since we 'gave' him his freedom he doesn't claw any furniture but i recommend getting a HUGE scratching post!!! good luck and enjoy!!!xxx

• 1 decade ago

No, they are not!

I have a Bengal and he is the most affectionate and lovely cat I have ever seen.

They are very active and you do need to spend a lot of time with them but I wouldn't say they are destructive.

I also have a British Shorthair and the two of them are best friend. Never fight and spend loads of time cuddling each other.

Get one, you'll never regret it :o)

• from what i understand about bengal cats is.. they are part wild and that side does show but they can be super sweet. it all depends on the individual cat itself. make sure you read enough and prepare enough before getting a bengal cat. a scratch post might be a good idea

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Before you spend more money on expensive dog trainers or products watch this video first http://onlinedogtraining.enle.info/?8nMv

is all depends on how involved you get with the training as well. A good dog training can retrain or teach most any dogs to behave for them - however unless you yourself take part of the training, establish your hierarchy and rank in your household, the dog may obey the commands of the trainer, and ignore yours as soon as the trainer leaves.

There is something called a pack order in dog behavior, and right now - your dog seems to outrank you. Get her respect, her immediate obedience at all times, and you will solve her problematic behavior, trainer or not. It requires for you to get up and come out of your comfort zone, go back to basic training and for you to actually work the dog and stay on top of her behavior at all time, until your training issue is resolved. This is at times hard to explain - for some folks it must be seen and visualized to be understood.

You need to also understand that some things the trainer may do or suggest, may well go against your grain and may make you feel bad or like you're mean to your dog. Not so the dog though, dogs live for an ordered life, for someone who is in charge, and if that someone is missing, they often feel they need to step in and take over.

F.e. when she nips or growls at visitors - in her mind she puts them into their place, establishes territory and dominance [since in her book you are apparently not], and then she is fine with them. This is totally normal dog behavior if another dog would come to visit, a bit rough housing and posturing in a basically good natured dog, and when the visiting dog acknowledges the higher rank of the "home team", they hang out and play, might peacefully share toys or treats - as long as the ranking order is kept in tact. You can start an immediate dog fight by showing preferred treatment to the underdog and "dizzing" the top ranking dog.

If you're not familiar with the inner workings of dogs in general, a dog trainer may well be your best choice of getting on top of your girls' issues. See if you cannot negotiate price with the trainer, or at least pay for one or two lessons, have her show you how to train your dog and then go from there... If you feel you need more time with the trainer afterwards, you can always decide later on.

• 1 decade ago

I have had experience with a friend's. He was very energetic and playful. he did not wreck the house, but he could disappear for days, attack lawn mowers, etc. Very amusing and fun, but not for the feint of heart.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.