Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health & Beauty · 1 decade ago

Ear wax - ear syringed?

Yesterday morning I woke up and couldn't hear much and my head goes warm whenever I try to talk.. i thought it'd go away but it was even worse this morning so i went to the doctor

she said it's ear wax and i'd have to get it syringed out

she prescribed me ear drops though

when do i get the ear syringed? should i make the appointment for this week or next week?

Um when I had mine done (which was quite frequent) they used a pump type thing that they pushed in your ear and pumped it....this was really good because they had a lot of pressure, but now its a silly electric thing which is much softer.

The reason I say this is because with the old one, you hardly needed to use drops at all but the new one hasn't got the pressure so I would say use the drops for a good 4 days at least then book an appointment :P

Syringing will usually clear wax. But, it will usually only work if the plug of wax has been softened. Therefore, use ear drops to soften wax 2-3 times a day for five days prior to syringing. Ear syringing is usually painless. Lukewarm water is squirted into the ear canal. This dislodges the softened plug which then falls out with the water.

the drops will make the wax easier to remove. If you do the drops for about 5 days, 3 times a day before going back to the doctor.

They use a small machine that "pulses" warm water into your ear..its not painful at all.

The best way of keeping ear wax under control is to drop 2 -3 drops of olive oil in your ears once a week.

Have a look at the NHS Direct link

That's strange your Doctor should have told when to call back for the procedure to be performed. It's not a big deal. Avoid having your ear/s syringed if you can as the problem has a habit of recurring. Take a look below for professional advice.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/earwax-blockage/D...

When did she say? Make the appointment this week, the drops will soften the wax and make it easier to syringe

• D.W

This week, its so great when you get it done, its like a whole new world f sounds. I was like you and left it along time and my hearing just got worse and worse.

to ur local doctors!!!!