Stereotypes about Manchester...?

Can anyone tell me any stereotypes about Manchester or its people?

Or any things that they are famous for?

Thanks for any help!

Happy Mondays from nearly 20 years ago are cool.....how dull and boring.

The stereotype is that Mancs all love Happy Mondays, Oasis and Manchester United and hate Scousers and everything about Liverpool.

Also loads of students coming from the south who go to university in Manchester think it's gonna be like Cornonation Street where everyone knows everyone, the houses all look the same and everyone says "ey up duck!" Thats far from the reality.

• ?

Manchester Utd,

Coronation St,

Oasis,

Smiths,

Happy Mondays,

• 203

An many occaisions when I have been abroad and have been asked where I come from for ease of conversation I say Manchester even though I actually live in a town ten miles from the city itself. A near immediate response has been "ahhhh Manchester United!" so perhaps there is something the city is famous for and a stereotype that everyone there is interested in football and supports manchester United.

Everyone lives on a Coronation Street....not!

I live in South Manchester and don't watch Corrie or any other soap. I also don't live in a 'Coronation Street' - thank god. I also can't stand the strong Manchester accent.

that they are miserable and shoot each other a lot.

not true though, manchester is a great place.

famous for a diverse and vibrant music scene.

good bands(happy mondays,joy division,stone roses etc),poverty,large housing estates,large irish population,coronation st,crime etc mostly manchester is an ok place and lots of streeotypes are exageratted

It rains a lot. It has 2 football teams which neither ever win anything. It gave the world Oasis and their pitiful caterwauling.

I t has a high crime rate from car crime to shootings to robbery to muggings etc etc.

The accent grates. My idea of hell would be to get stuck on a holiday jet full of Mancunians and Scousers. Fortunately, it has never happened as I never go to Spain.