shell asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

what can you feed fish?

just wondered if there was anything u can feed tropical fish apart from the stuff you can buy in the shops!!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Orange slices, peas, lettuce, and zucchini are what we add to our fish tanks. I manage the fish department in a pet store, so daily we toss veggies in the tanks to keep them healthier. I'm sure there are others, but these are tired and true.

Source(s): manages a pet store
  • 4 years ago

The whole cube will be fine for a fish that size. A good snack for an oscar are freeze-dried shrimp or frozen shrimp (not the kind we eat :-). You might want to give it a supplemental pellet food as well. You can even feed it by hand too!

• 1 decade ago

It depends on what type of fish you have or are thinking of getting, (carnivores, omnivores or vegetarians) but to give you an idea:

Daphnia

Brine shrimp

Tubifex worms (freeze-dried - frozen and live tubifex carry disease risks)

Bloodworm

Cyclops

White shrimp

Peas

Cucumber

Romaine Lettice

Algae/algae wafers

That's just to list some examples. Like I said before, diet consists of the fish's habits.

Then you have the dry staple foods - pellets, crisps and flakes.

• 1 decade ago

Some can be fed earthworms or crickets (Oscars)

But for most small tropical speices, stick to the fish food, it's easier.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Tropical fish love cucumber and lettuce, also prawns and bloodworm.

i have a mixture of fish in my tank and feed them catfish pellets, baby powder food and flakes.

• 1 decade ago

Garden pea's i think, but i wouldnt feed them it unless you asked a fish expert at an aquarium. Also sweetcorn. But you usually feed them flake food, daphinia, blood worms and other frozen food.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What are the fish?

Some can eat vegetables ( plecos etc)

Some can be fed earthworms or crickets (Oscars)

But for most small tropical speices, stick to the fish food, it's easier.

Ian

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sure, depends on the fish, its size and tastes. I saw a video on youtube earlier today of a fish (I forget what kind) eating a grape tomato, heres a link to a vid of a few fish eating a baby mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDSJEw7NRdw

Youtube thumbnail

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I had Goldfish and they loved peas, i was informed by a pet shop that if you run out of food then giving them frozen peas will be fine. Quite cool to watch too cos they swallow them whole.

Source(s): pet shop
  • 1 decade ago

depends what fish u have,cucumber,lettuce for most fish small live minnows for the bigger ones but only small amounts if they like it they'll eat if not don't feed them it anymore

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.