shell asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

what can you feed fish?

just wondered if there was anything u can feed tropical fish apart from the stuff you can buy in the shops!!

Favorite Answer

Orange slices, peas, lettuce, and zucchini are what we add to our fish tanks. I manage the fish department in a pet store, so daily we toss veggies in the tanks to keep them healthier. I'm sure there are others, but these are tired and true.

Source(s): manages a pet store

The whole cube will be fine for a fish that size. A good snack for an oscar are freeze-dried shrimp or frozen shrimp (not the kind we eat :-). You might want to give it a supplemental pellet food as well. You can even feed it by hand too!

It depends on what type of fish you have or are thinking of getting, (carnivores, omnivores or vegetarians) but to give you an idea:

Daphnia

Brine shrimp

Tubifex worms (freeze-dried - frozen and live tubifex carry disease risks)

Bloodworm

Cyclops

White shrimp

Peas

Cucumber

Romaine Lettice

Algae/algae wafers

That's just to list some examples. Like I said before, diet consists of the fish's habits.

Then you have the dry staple foods - pellets, crisps and flakes.

Some can be fed earthworms or crickets (Oscars)

But for most small tropical speices, stick to the fish food, it's easier.

Tropical fish love cucumber and lettuce, also prawns and bloodworm.

i have a mixture of fish in my tank and feed them catfish pellets, baby powder food and flakes.

Garden pea's i think, but i wouldnt feed them it unless you asked a fish expert at an aquarium. Also sweetcorn. But you usually feed them flake food, daphinia, blood worms and other frozen food.

What are the fish?

Some can eat vegetables ( plecos etc)

Ian

sure, depends on the fish, its size and tastes. I saw a video on youtube earlier today of a fish (I forget what kind) eating a grape tomato, heres a link to a vid of a few fish eating a baby mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDSJEw7NRdw

Youtube thumbnail

I had Goldfish and they loved peas, i was informed by a pet shop that if you run out of food then giving them frozen peas will be fine. Quite cool to watch too cos they swallow them whole.

Source(s): pet shop

depends what fish u have,cucumber,lettuce for most fish small live minnows for the bigger ones but only small amounts if they like it they'll eat if not don't feed them it anymore