Why do guys wait so long to ask you to marry them ?

I have been dating my boyfriend for a year and we want to get married he even got me a promise ring for my birthday but when i try to ask or talk about marriage he says he isn't ready yet. what does he mean not ready yet? I asked a friend and she said before her and her husband got married he waited a long time... show more I have been dating my boyfriend for a year and we want to get married he even got me a promise ring for my birthday but when i try to ask or talk about marriage he says he isn't ready yet. what does he mean not ready yet? I asked a friend and she said before her and her husband got married he waited a long time before he asked her.
i want to marry my boyfriend and he wants to marry me but i don't see what he is waiting for or what he isn't ready for?
Update: forgot to mention we have been living together for a year as well. we r not a normal couple we knew each other for a week before we started dating and moved in with each other
Update 2: ya i'm 25 and i think a promise ring is a cute idea.