Sudi S asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

When I go to pick my chickens up they squat down, making it much easier. Why is this?

They're lovely chickens - relaxed and easy to manage - but I don't suppose they're just being obliging. Can anyone tell me what causes this behaviour? Many thanks.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My guess is that you don't have any roosters around. They are responding to you like they would to a rooster they like. I've seen this before. If you want to be sure then when they squat down just kind of ruff their feathers toward the base of their tail and step back. If they stand up, shake themselves, and walk away then yep, they miss a rooster.

EDIT: yes, it can be a dominance thing....but when there is a rooster around this doesn't happen other than with the rooster, and then only if they like the rooster.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Okay everyone, let's get a true answer to this question. I have over a dozen chickens and the reason they do this is because of dominance. They do the same thing when a dominant chicken comes over to peck them (ever heard of the saying "pecking order"?) and when a rooster approaches them. Basically your chickens are telling you that they acknowledge your pecking order over them. It's a submissive gesture.

Source(s): best place for chicken information is www.backyardchickens.com!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i have chickens

n when i 1st gt them they would run away from me when i went 2 pick em up

but as they gt used me 2 me n no im not going 2 hurt them they do squat down or stay in 1 place 4 me 2 pick em up

its cos they like u

hope i helped x

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is almost certainly hens that are kept without a c0ck. This is perfectly normal hen behavior when kept alone. If you had a male they would run away from you so now you can figure the rest out.

Source(s): Poultry breeder
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's a position they pose when they're accepting a roosters approach to mate.

It really does make it easier to pick them up doesn't it! :)

Source(s): Hen keeper/enthusiast http://www.henkeeping.co.uk
  • 1 decade ago

they do this to get serviced by roosters.

Owner of average 100 chickens

Source(s): chicken breeder
  • 1 decade ago

Probably to protect themselves, like a kids reaction to a threat is the fetal position (if running is out of the question).

• Barb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

That is their way of submission, means come and get it to a rooster.

• stop u from giving em 1 (well at least try to ne way)

• 1 decade ago

They ither love you or scared of you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.