Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Anyone ever had their dog debarked?

I dont need your opinions about it being cruel. There is a vet surgeon who does debarking here where I live. My bro in law's parents husky has it done and they said its the best thing ever. Do they really just sound like a cough after? Was it better for you after?

Wow! Lot of knee-jerk reactions here. I, too, thought it was absolutely horrible...until... I got a dog who barked at *everything* -- leaves falling in the backyard, people walking down the street two blocks over -- and she had a bark that would shatter glass! So, I had the dog "bark softened" (which is a lot more accurate term than "debarking". It meant a return to sanity!

First of all, folks, don'tanthropomorphizingog! Dogs are not people and they don't "talk" like people do. Dogs mainly communicate with body language. Second, they can still make noise. Sometimes quite a bit of noise! It's just softer, quieter and less annoying.

As far as being inhumane, which is less humane -- having the bark softened or always be yelling at your dog to shut up --- which doesn't work at all, since the dog thinks you're joining in the barking fun! All they do in a de-bark surgery is make a little notch in the vocal cord so that it doesn't tighten as much and give that sharp sound.

I would not have a dog de-barked for convenience. It would be an extreme case where the dog simply could *not* be quieted down through training or where the neighbors were threatening lawsuits, etc. But I'd certainly get a dog de-barked before having to get rid of the dog or coming to blows with my neighbors. It is relatively simply to train *one* dog not to bark -- it's a different thing altogether to try to get multiple dogs to be quiet.

BTW, different debarked dogs sound different. Some have just a soft bark, others have a breathy "huh! huh!" sound.

Source(s): 30+ years of owning shelties.

I don't think doing anything to an animal unless under extreme measures is necessary. HOWEVER! Everyone in this thread has probably chopped off the balls of their animal without even thinking about it since that is the normal thing to do right? I mean their BALLS! We are talking about a small incision to lessen the annoying howl/bark/cry that possible angry neighbors hear all day long. I have not removed the barking yet, but I have tried vibration collars, spray collars, high frequency bark deterrents, 6 months of REALLY EXPENSIVE dog behavior training, and tons of days at day care when both me and the wife are at work all day because we can't even leave them at home. We tried everything, but when you treat your dog like your furry babies for 5 years cuddling then, sleeping with them in bed, and snuggling with them when your home, they get extremely attached. I don't care what you say, but retraining them to relax when your gone is virtually impossible. That is like trying to retrain a 40 year old person to be someone else completely different. I say if you put in the full effort to try all other options and NOTHING else works, either give them to someone that can handle a barking dog, or get the procedure done. This way at least they are not going to be in a shelter and still have a great life minus the barking. They they will have continued love from the owner instead of anger and a bad relationship. Anyone that says this procedure is wrong either doesn't own a dog that barks uncontrollably, or they have already castrated their dog and have no right to say that this is inhumane. Sorry for the long message, but I am going through this dilemma as we speak. Oh and I even bought surveillance to see how they act when we leave to help with the behavior training. I spent over 1500 bucks in training. Nothing still. Love to know what people think now!

Debarked

An old friend of mine had her dog debarked. It sounded like a gross, hacking cough. The bark was louder but, in my opinion, sounded less disturbing. If you are considering debarking your dog, I would suggest training him to be quiet on command instead. It's very possible to do, cheaper than surgery, probably more convenient, and you won't have the gross hacking.

And even if the idea of a hacking cough doesn't displease you, I can say as an owner of a dog with chronic cough, it gets REALLY obnoxious. If you have to train him to stop anyway when the hacking gets to you, you'll have wasted your money on debarking.

There are a few real keys to dog training, whether you are trying to train your dog to come when called, sit, stop barking or any other behavior. Understanding their importance is critical to achieving rapid results that are long lasting and help develop the bond between you and your dog. Read more here https://tr.im/gPKax

The first is simple; you must win your dogs mind. If you don’t achieve this first then you will be struggling the all the way. When I talk about winning your dogs mind what I really mean is that your dog looks to you for all the decisions. Before you do anything else watch one of the amazing video sites that show you the 5 Golden rules to establishing yourself as the pack leader. If you aren’t putting these in place then you are setting yourself up to fail. Just at the crucial point where you really want your dog to listen they will go and do their own thing. For sure your dog may play ball occasionally or even most of the time, you may even have a dog that is obedient 99% of the time, however if you want a dog who always listens to you and does as you ask then you need to win your dogs mind.

The second key to success is to motivate your dog. It is really important that you discover what it is that your dog enjoys both in terms of exercise and play but also in terms of a reward. If you can make the experience enjoyable then you will both achieve more and look forward to training.

Some dogs love to fetch, others love agility, and other dogs simply love obedience training, or swimming out into water and retrieve. At least to start with find out what your dogs love is and help them develop this, what I am saying is work with your dog. The other point to recognize is to make training enjoyable reward your dog.

Ya sounds like a cruel evil cough. so mean. do some training with her ALL dogs can be broken of barking it is just that most people don't want to take the time to do so. Get a bark color leave it on for a couple of minutes at a time and when she barks put it back on and say quiet. When people come to the door if the color is not on her grab it and say QUIET loud and firm. She wont be able to bark anyway with it on but it is good to start using the word so she can associate it with not barking. When she doesn't bark give her a treat and say good quiet. You need to do this outside as well if she is out a lot so she knows that it goes for people and dogs out doors. Some dogs just sit and bark that is all they do. In that case you need to be very tuff with her. But think about it this dog is actually saying something. You would literally be taking her voice away. Can you even think about going to a doctor having them put you to sleep just to wake up and not be able to Talk EVER again. OMG that makes my skin crawl. I know it is hard to have a dog like this and maybe even something that is becoming an issue in the neighborhood but just please think of how the poor dog would feel. Not to be able to bark at a stranger to protect you or even to bark at you when you play. You would NEVER hear her bark again. That could be a good thing but as strange as it sounds now you may miss it. Try to train first. I don't want to assume you haven't just want to try. Really hope it works!! Good luck

Source(s): Chihuahua that would not stop barking still does at times but training continues! She is 80% better now though!!

I am thinking about doing this to our dog, she is always barking at every single thing. I left town and the next day my neighbors all from one family each came by one at time to tell me she barked all night long. she barks at the wind at bugs at anything that moves a mile away. I cant leave her alone ever because of this and all the complaints. I just ordered a shock collar and am really hoping it helps but if not im looking into the cost of doing the bark softening surgery. I love this dog and so does my family but the barking is really annoying.... and if we don't get it under control then we may have to give her away and I do not want to do that she is part of the family. there is a lot of dog brutality where we are living at the moment and I think if she does not stop barking someone is going to hurt her.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

So you should be made to give your stupid little mutt away. It was YOUR fault your dog barked cos you were too lazy to train it to be quiet. So someone might harm it boo hoo. Your fault for allowing to bark and piss your neighbours off.

Long story short - I feel its your responsibility to exhaust all other options....

From what I understand the only real negative is that you have to subject your dog to the dangers of anesthesia. Supposedly it does not affect the physical or mental health of your dog.

That being said it still seems very extreme. I see the benefits of not having a noisy dog but it seems like a lazy solution to me. I personally think dogs can be trained to do or not do most anything regardless of the dogs current behavior.

If it where me I would first work with a professional. If that didn't work I would try some of the electronic tools. If I was not seeing any improvement I might consider the surgery.

definitly do no debark a dog that is the worst thing ever. I think that is a cruelty to animals right there. They may think its the best thing with no noise but the problem is put it in this scenario. If a burgler or someone is tyring to get into your house and your dog can only cough what are you going to do. Someone could kill you in your sleep without having the aide of a dog alarming you that someone is in or near the house.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

Then get a burglar alarm. A burglar could just kill the dog and break in anyway. You should have an alarm they won't be able to kill that and you would still be aware someone was trying to break in.

I had my Standard poodle and my toy poodle done. They both sound funny when they growl, and its even funnier because they don't like each other. My mom, though, breeds dogs and has had a lot done. Most of them sound like puffs of air, and some can still bark but its not as high pitched. If you get it done with laser then its not at all painful. They are up, eating and drinking within an hour or two. It's an outpatient procedure. They don't even know it's done. I wouldn't get it done any other way than laser. The anesthesia is the worst thing and if thats cruel then I guess getting your dog spayed or neutered is the worst thing you could do to an animal because they are going under AND getting cut on!

My standard poodle is a real bad barker but she loves people to death and wouldn't bark or growl at any strangers (people) but she was constantly barking wanting inside (I kept her outside on nice days) and it was getting annoying. I tried shock collars (which in my opinion are very cruel, could you imagine getting shocked every time you talked. I regret using it) but it didnt work, and the training didn't work. This way she can satisfy her barking needs and it isn't so annoying. And my toy poodle stays inside all the time and barks at EVERYTHING! She'll be walking down the hallway and stop dead and start barking at nothing!..She must see ghosts or something (I wouldn't dare put a shock collar on a toy sized dog!).

Anyway, it's a lot more quieter now...I don't regret doing it at all! I know several other breeders who get laser done on their dogs and NONE of them has had any problems. We've even bought quite a few that have had it done. It cuts down on dog fights like crazy. We dont have near as many yorkie squabbles since we started.

Source(s): I am my own source through experience! Oh and I went here to back myself up http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/archives/debark... I suggest EVERYONE read this!..it doesn't just apply to shelties.