Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

why is my hamster eating its poo ? ?

i got my hamster a few weeks ago and it was eating its poo i havnt seen him do it for a while but i seen somwhere that it can make them ill .. will it make him sick and why does he do it ?

Update:

and yes i am feedin him

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Hamsters have two different kinds of poop. One is just excrement and the other kind, which you see them eating, is nutrients that were not fully digested the first time.

Your hamsters behavior is very normal. It's just another way for them to get their vitamins and nutrition. Vitamins B and K are not absorbed the first time they go through their system so it's their way of getting those vitamins too.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No It Wont Make Him Ill, The Reason, Because He Isn't Getting All The Nutrition From The Food, Try Changing To A different Brand.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is normal. What the hamster is doing is eating the poo because the food that he ate hasn't fully digested the nutrition. So when he eats the poo he is acutely getting more nutrition from the poo.

Same concept as a cow with all of their stomachs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hamsters eat their own poo to digest any of the goodness from their food that may have been missed the first time round, it is gross but its nature!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's perfectly normal (yet disgusting!) don't worry. Its not because your not feeding hima dn it wont make him ill.

Hamsters bodies aren't as efficent as ours and they will eat their poo to gain more sustinance out fot he food and get back any nutrients they missed the first time around. In the wild (god what a long time ago for these creatures) there wasn't the regular food supply that they have now. So they had to take it where they could get it, esp if they couldnt come out of their nests in fear of ravage beasts wanting to eat them!

It's perfectly fine hun, don't worry. Just don't watch him do it! lol

• 6 years ago

My hamsters did not eat their poo.I have to clean them up. It will pile up. I give them pecans and water only. That was enough diet for them to grow and reproduce. Perhaps is the diet, felling the need to try something else.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mine did that when i first got him..

its because he didnt gain enough nutrients from the food in the first place.. you make be feeding him but like my hamster he could just move the food somewhere else and not eat it...

he will eventually stop it, but its no real problem

• 4 years ago

All rodents consume their poop, rabbits, hares, etc: etc: i comprehend it sounds disgusting, yet it somewhat is extremely ordinary habit in hamsters, and is of great dietary importance. Hamsters are especially herbivores, (plant and flora eaters.) Droppings of partly digested foodstuff are excreted and then generally ate up as we talk. it somewhat is for the restoration of the foodstuff that weren't utilized in the process the 1st pass in the process the digestive device. in addition they produce ordinary droppings of thoroughly digested foodstuff of it is waste and is disposed of. I easily have additionally reported many cases, that as quickly as a mom hamster has domestic dog's interior the nest, she will take a number of her droppings for them to consume, it somewhat is robust food for them. breeder

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is known as coprophagia and alot of animals do it. Rabbits and rodents do it so they can re-digest it and get all the nutrients out of it. It's gross but its natural!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is perfectly normal, it's gross I know but sometimes they don't get the nutrients they need the first time round so they eat it again! Ha!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.