How would my marrying a woman lead to an increase in pedophilia?

That seems quite a reach to me, yet I've seen several people make that sort of 'slippery slope' claim.

ert+y, *I*'m the head of the R&S Dr Who fans. Even Lime Kitty defers me to in these matters.

Nice to meet you.

Lilith, that's part of the reason why I converted to Judaism. It's much saner re physicality and sexuality.

• Favourite answer

It is because of this sort of logic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gay Marriage Killed the Dinosaurs

Top 16 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong

16. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

15. There are plenty of straight families looking to adopt, and every unwanted child already has a loving family. This is why foster care does not exist.

14. Conservatives know best how to create strong families. That is why it is not true that Texas and Mississippi have the highest teen birthrates, and Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire have the lowest. This is a myth spread by the liberal media.

13. Marriage is a religious institution, defined by churches. This is why atheists do not marry.

12. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why our society has no single parents.

11. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.

10. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.

8. Gay marriage should be decided by the people and their elected representatives, not the courts. The framers checked the courts, which represent mainstream public opinion, with legislatures created to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Interference by courts in this matter is inappropriate, just as it has been every time the courts have tried to hold back legislatures pushing for civil rights.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because “separate but equal” institutions are a good way to satisfy the demands of uppity minority groups.

5. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

4. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

3. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

2. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

1. METEORS and VOLCANOES.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. People may think homosexuality is unnatural... that's entirely their opinion. But to call homosexuality a perversion is the same thing and calling an interracial marriage a perversion. I agree that homosexuality is against the norm. Does that make it wrong? Most (no, I didn't say ALL) people who are against homosexuality are opposed based on their religious beliefs. I have no problem with opposition. There are obviously things I don't agree with for one reason or another. That's what makes this America. But this country has been through many periods to show that separate but equal doesn't work. It's not about changing the laws that are on the books. The constitution doesn't say anything about only a man marrying a woman, or only a white person can marry a white person, or only a Jew can marry a Jew. Those were laws the Nazis created in WWII, by the way. But my point is this... the gay marriage laws that are being proposed by the Christian right are the ones trying to change the constitution. They are trying to add language into it. SOmehwere it was said that ALL Americans have the right to the pursuit of happiness. If your idea of happiness is to marry somebody of the same sex, what right does the government have to stop you? Nobody is being hurt by it, it's NOT a perversion, it's NOT causing an increase in pedophilia, and gay parents do NOT raise gay children any more than straight parents do.

Source(s): I'm straight, btw, and a registered Republican at that.

I dunno but to me that would be like saying that only animals born with feathers can fly.Yet I have yet to witness an ostrich that can get off the ground.Nor a bat that has to walk around everywhere.That said,I would say that maybe some case studies have drawn that conclusion.I would still like to see the published findings and even then it would not be conclusive.I would have to say also that it is up to all of us to see it for what it is.Yet one more reason for heterosexual society to put down gays yet again.It just seems to me that if it is wrong for two men or two women to be bonded...Then why is it right for a man and a woman that can bear no children are allowable in the sight of Spirit?It is just another illustration of the old double standard.Like the double standard that guys like seeing videos of two women getting it on but not two guys.Or a guy and a girl.It is considered disgusting and gross to them just like thinking of what two guys would want with each other.I for one was molested by what could only be termed as a bisexual man at the age of thirteen before I even knew what sex was all about.He was my stepfather and it after all was what was termed as a heterosexual arrangement.I on the other hand would never even consider doing it with anybody younger than nineteen or twenty.To me that is a consenting enough age.Anybody younger would never be in a position to really be of a proper understanding about it.

Source(s): School of hard knocks

The slippery slope claim is generally baseless. Lesbianism and pedophelia are two different things.

The logic you are running into is a cross-over from the "violent crime" category. Violent, repetitive criminals generally have to commit more and more violence to sate their desire to hurt. Thus, they may start with a little Breaking and Entering, then go on to armed robbery, assault, rape, and murder.

Sexual sins aren't necessarily progressive, at least not all the time, just like any other sin. I have to deal with sexual temptation also (as do your accusers, if they will be honest) and it doesn't mean that I'm about to go out and become some baby-rapist.

• Rubym

A pedophile is a pedophile, some contain their urges, some do not. It seems like some men who have pedophile leanings, if they are in a stable marriage might be able to suppress these feelings, but if something goes wrong in the marriage or something, they start going after children. But many continue through marriage behind their wives back while it looks like they have a good marriage..

But being married would not cause a man who was not a pedophile before to become one. That does not make sense (unless she has children and he starts acting on his feelings with her children)

Ignore them - they're cretins...

The vast majority of pedophiles are men, they are just upset you aren't like them (you're lucky you aren't like them!!) there's no arguing with such people, these are the sort who think homosexuality is the cause of pedophilia

Christianity: A psycho-sexual disorder?

"The body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body ...

Flee fornication ... Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost."

– 1 Corinthians 6.13,19

At the heart of the Christian religion lies a disturbing hostility towards humanity's essential physicality. Though less stridently proclaimed today than in earlier eras, the circumspection, disdain and outright condemnation of human sexuality in the dogmas of the church has given rise, for two millennia, not only to the most monumental hypocrisy but to all manner of sexual-emotional disorders. In simple terms, sex was, and remains, a distraction, rival, and enemy of organized religion – and in private moments, an indulgence and reward of its high priests.

Repressed sexuality, on the other hand, can be channeled into a fierce piety and kill-joy religiosity, its uncompromising ardour harnessed for the purposes of the Church. But "inner conflict" is a predictable consequence, as is an obsessive preoccupation with other people's sexual predilections. The faith-based moralizer rages over private pleasures, such as homosexuality and the "sanctity of human life" – whilst condoning without embarrassment the slaughter of distant peoples who do not happen to share their own peculiar interpretation of the divine.

• Don't even know why you're paying five seconds of attention to that.

I'm of the belief that whatever two consenting adults decide to do amongst themselves is not a perversion.

They talk about pot being a gateway drug. This has been proven true. You were not born hung up on dope (unless your mom was) - you consciously chose to use it.

Homosexuality is not a gateway to perversion. You are born that way. I did not wake up one morning at age three and go "Oh, my - I must go have a crush on a girl!" I always knew I was straight and that was all. I have gay friends that knew their circumstances by age five.

Perversion is a choice. Sexual persuasion is not.

It is built on the same logic as the slippery slope argument that was built around Loving v. Virgina. In that case it was argued that if interracial marriage was allowed, then before you knew it men would marry sheep. Some people fear changes in social order and will fight to prevent them. These are misguided by a lack of understanding and should be pitied, in my opinion.

the glaring clarification for that's religious ideals. There are numerous sections interior the Bible declaring that such movements are "an abomination" to God, which isn't linked with the different sin, sexual or no longer. yet many different religions state that the purpose of intercourse is to no longer sense solid yet as a substitute to populate and multiply the earth, a element that won't be able to happen with Homosexuality. additionally, it takes human beings out of their convenience zone, and we human beings are powerful massive creatures of convenience, and habit. Homosexuality has been happening for hundreds of years, in spite of the undeniable fact that it has in basic terms been interior the previous couple of many years (if that) it rather is has grow to be extra socially appropriate than till now. understand that what we deem as suited or incorrect is rather prompted by our social circles, the two the massive and small ones. subsequently, a at cutting-edge guy thinking that society is telling him to be accepting of homosexuals could positioned him in an uncomfortable and unfamiliar place. interior the tip, coming from a Christian practise, i've got self assurance people who concentration too no longer common on pointing the finger to homosexuals and bisexuals are lacking the component of what God grew to become into telling us interior the 1st place.

It wouldn't that's ridiculous O.o Whoever said that needs to really rethink thier beliefs! Or, you know, get a dictionary.

Oh, unless the woman in question is underage in which case yes, I can see how that would directly increase it :P But otherwise, no, you're free to marry who you wish :)