is this classed as benefit fraud?

a woman at my sons school claims housing and council tax benefit on a 3 bed house. they were given this house by the council as they have 4 children, as 1 is autistic they got a medical letter to say he cant share a room with the other children due to his violence, hence why they got moved to a 3 bed house. however, they still have all 4 children (of mixed sexes) in 1 bedroom and use the other room as a computer room. is this benefit fraud as they arent using the house as the council intended it to be used?

the point is, they arent using it for the children which is what they were given it for

am i the only person that thinks if a child is violent enough to get a medical letter saying he should have his own room (yet not getting it) plus 4 kids of mixed ages and sexes is wrong? (they arent babies)

It doesn't seem right really? I have a close friend who is autistic and personal space is massively important to him. People with autism can get very frustrated very quickly when their 'system' has been played with. So when it comes to their personal space, if another child in the family imposes on it, it could frustrate the autistic child to such an extent they could become violent as they do not have the interpersonal skills to deal with frustration in a socially accepted fashion.

So i think the family should have used the extra space for what it was given, I'm sure they could dress up their reasoning and get away with it. So wouldn't consider it fraud per say, but not having the best interests of their child at heart, which is a sad situation.

• GOD

Well, I cannot see where the benefit fraud is, they are not using the house as was intended by the council but it is such a minor problem that I think that the council will not interfere, as the children get older, they will probably move as much as they can to separate rooms anyway, there are many families that are forced to share rooms because of the lack of room, even two families in one house, the council don`t get involved with them do they?

I agree with you about the child that is violent but this should be addressed as a child protection problem for the other children and not a housing one.

Why don't you just anonymously report them to the council, then they can decide if it is fraud or not; or the social services, who will send someone to check on the welfare of the children. It is up to the council anyway, not you or I, so you may as well put the decision in their hands. I don't think it is wrong for children of mixed sex to share a room - sometimes it is unavoidable - but if the boy is violent and there are little ones, it might stop you worrying if you just let someone else know about it.

There is a website called the LHA which if you put how many people and of what age they are it tells you how many bedrooms you are entitled too ('ve been looking at it today as a matter of fact) and from the results i got playing around with it if you have 4 children under the age of 16 you are entitled to a 3 bed house regardless of what use you put the rooms to.

It rather begs the question, how do the dole bludgers afford computers.However, I have worked with children with special needs including profoundly autistic children. I have know situations where parents have to put aside a seperate room for this child otherwise everything is swiped off the sides and wrecked. I would guess that this family need space to deal with corespondence, relaxation or homework without the worry of this child smashing the computer. How other people live within their own homes is entirely their business. My personal opinion on this is that 3 bedrooms is not enough space for such a large family and even without one child being autistic it is amoral to expect people to live in such conditions. Shame on you and shame on the council.

• reggie

What the hell has it got to do with you? There are enough official snoops in this country without mums at the school gates joining in. With four children they need a three bed house and it's up to them, and them alone, to decide how best to allocate space in their house for their children. There are no laws which prevent mixed sex siblings sharing a room.

To the poster above who queries their right to have a computer - it is up to the parents to decide how to allocate their finances, or are you suggesting that they are benefit cheats as well?

No it is not fraud. It is simply an example of the modern British pastime of 'playing the system' to gain an advantage that otherwise they would not get. They have the piece of paper that says they need three bedrooms, properly prepared by a suitable professional (at least we assume so) so that's that. Nothing anyone can do, or, in the case of the authorities, would want to do.

why does it bother you anyway? surely with 4 kids you would expect the council to put them in a 3 bed house?

• flint

No it's not benefit fraud, but they could be deemed to have made a false application for the house, or be in breach of their Tenancy Agreement.

Everyone including children need to use the computer for homework and other necessities. It's nice to have it in a room away from bedrooms, kitchens, etc. Leave it alone.