Is it really easier for minorities to get into universities? ?

I ask this because look at Palin's track record with university...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope!

We get accepted and rejected like everyone else.

YES the schools want black students, but they do want the best of the black students. Don't think you are going to Duke off your looks.

The only way it's easier is if

Johny (black man A+ average)

Jonny (White man A+ average)

both appy to idk... Yale. The black Johny is going to get in because Yale is a majority race school, and they would like their campus more diverse.

If

Johny (black man C+ average)

Jonny (White man A+ average apply)

White Jonny gets in this time

If

Johny (black man A++ average)

IDK George (white man C- with family ties to the university)

white George gets in.

Sometimes its not what you know, but who you know. :)

Have a nice day!!!!

• 5 years ago

Well, YES. For students entering Duke in 2000 and 2001, the average SAT score for white students was a 1416, while black students averaged a 1275. This is a significant 131 point gap. At Stanford, researchers found a 171 point gap between admitted black and white students. I can't quite put my finger on why the hell colleges would want more smelly, loud, ignorant people.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe, because of the quota rule, however most minorities are caught up in life situations that keep them from attending and staying, and have family responsibilities. Alot of minorities may have issues with entrance exams, or accessibility to prep-classes that prepares them for the University environment and this may be a challenge to them. Also its the culture of the institution that may insight fear of entering because of comfortability, Finally, it could be the entrance standards of that institution that keeps minorities from getting into a University.

The Impact of Affirmative Action:

:"Affirmative action policies have resulted in increases in the representation of women and minorities across all levels of employment in the United States and within organizations that were once exclusively male." (Murrell and Jones, 1995)

"Affirmative action has led to higher employment participation rates, increased earnings, and gains in educational attainment for women and minorities. " (Murrell and Jones, 1995)

and as long as there is any kind of racism this question needs to be asked first:

"Does present-day racism justify maintaining affirmative action?" (Dovidio and Gaertner, 1995).

Source(s): Bennett, C. (2003). Comprehensive Multicultural Education Theory and Practice (5th ed.) Allyn and Bacon, Boston: MA Dovidio, J., & Gaertner, S. L. (1995). Affirmative action, unintentional racial biases, and intergroup relations. Manuscript submitted for publication. Murrell, A. J., & Jones, R. The paradox of affirmative action: Examining its impact and future for women and minorities in employment. Manuscript submitted for publication.
  • 4 years ago

I will say again Affirmative Action is Simply an excuse for Bigots to hate Blacks, It has not Helped enough people in this Country to be any real issue and Nepotism is a much bigger problem because with nepotism and legacies you get the free ride without the work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The best answer selected is wrong. Even if a white or Asian student is more qualified with higher GPA and SAT scores, colleges will choose a black student (even if their SAT scores are 200 or more points lower) just to fill their quota. In my opinion discriminating against more qualified students because they're not black is highly racist.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it is easier, because they have quotas to fill. That doesn't make it real easy, mind you, just easier for minorities than non-minorities.

This is called "Affirmative action". It seems unfair (turning down someone more qualified because of their skin color.) and racist (it assumes that minorities are not as smart).

It's also selective - Asians, while minorities in the US, are not qualified for affirmative action.

Probably an outdated concept that needs to be re-evaluated - maybe put in some quotas based on income instead, or do away with them altogether.

• 1 decade ago

Um... I don't want to sound racist, but Asians and Arabs usually get in for their grades. I know some Indian girls who are super smart and this super smart (seriously 4.0) Middle Eastern girl.

My friend goes to University of Detroit Mercy and she said the black people that get a full ride are usually from urban Detroit and only last a semester. The reason they get full rides is because the university is private and they want to keep an urban setting but they have quotas to fill. She said any black person that is super smart she has found out that they are paying tuition. She was telling me about her freshman year when this really loud black girl was in the hall drunk and shouting and she asked her to be quiet (she shouted from her room "can ya be quiet?") and the girl knocked on every door shouting. I think that was really rude.

My friend is Hispanic and she applied to several universities and like three or four accepted her, but Michigan State turned her down, yet a private university accepted her... you figure that one out (Michigan state has more students~more minorities, private schools don't)

• 1 decade ago

there is little difference. some people(mainly blacks) get in on athletic scholarships, which some people may mistake for "affirmative action," that may explain away a lot of the ignorant people on here complaining about "underqualified" blacks getting into their schools.

it really annoys me how the people on here say how easy it is for black people and minorities to get in college...that is not true..

one more thing...it is mostly poor people that are favored in the college admissions process. i come from a black MIDDLE class family and i was given no shortcuts nor was i 'blown through the system'. i am doing everything that everyone else is doing and i am working my tail off which is why i take offence to people who tell me how easy i have it beacuse i am black. right...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Harvard Law School is one of the most prestigious and hardest schools to get into, they have on of the least populations of Black students, yet Barack Obama went there and graduated... Even if you are a minority, you'll have a very hard time getting into Yale, Harvard, or Princeton.

• 1 decade ago

Whattttttt

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.