How do I get assault charges on my boyfriend dropped/dismissed?

I've lived with my boyfriend for 3 years and am deeply in love with him. However, I am also addicted to crystal meth and pain pills, and have been experiencing occassional blackouts where I don't remember anything. This happened a month ago, and during an argument with my boyfriend, I freaked out and called the police and told them that he was trying to kill me. When he realized that I had really called them, he grabbed the phone out of my hand and threw it at me, hitting me in the face and causing my nose to bleed. He left and the cops came, and, according to the police report, I made up all kinds of horrible things about him, putting his job and custody of his kids in jeopardy. He has kicked me out and has been charged with assault, which is a 1st degree misdemeanor. I feel awful and want to do whatever I can to undo this. What can I do? I live in Ohio

• Ti

Tell the DA the truth. The charges may or may not be dropped. Domestic violence is a crime against the state, therefore prosecution is not up to you.

By the way, why does he have a meth addict for a girl friend if he wants custody of his kids? Does not make sense!!

Are you sure he doesn't have felony charges? The state always picks up the case no matter what the accuser decides later. You should go to the district attorney & strongly ask for the charges to be dropped - that's no guarantee he will. Your boyfriend needs a lawyer , but you can't speak to him regarding the case. I'm sure the state has put out a protective order against your boyfriend on your behalf - you can move to have that dropped but if not pursued , it will be dismissed eventually. You really put him in a bad position & there's really nothing you can do but leave him alone until the protective order is dropped or he will end up in jail again if the police are notified.When you get the law involved , they stay involved - hope you both learned a lesson .

• Laura

I assume there is evidence that you were injured and that the police have it. If so the state can proceed without you and it's very possible they will. The other side of that coin is that if you say you lied about the assault you can be charged with filing a false police report and you get the record. One more thing to keep in mind, the next time he assaults you, and he probably will, the police might not be in too much of a hurry to protect you. Sometimes when you start a ball in motion it can't easily be stopped.

Well first of all you need to get off meth, show him that he will be a lot more forgiving even if you do get the dropped if he see's that this isn;t going to happen again.

And no matter what you made up he did throw a phone and hit you so yes he is still guilty.

Not sure, I think you can drop the charges but when it is domestic I don't know if you can just go in and ask to have the charges dropped. I guess you can try.

Also if you are going to stay on meth and he stays around/with you his kids need to be removed. They don;t need that crap in their lives. Think of how you could harm them, verbally or physically when you are high.

The last thing you need is a guy that lets you do Meth and Pills and throws a phone at your face, regardless of the circumstances...

You need to know you should be devoting more time to sorting your own life out then to his. You need to go to the local police department at which you made these accusations and change your statement.

The catch is, they might listen to you, but if you have a history of Methamphetamines they might not... You need treatment and you need new direction, and it seems like a guy that throws a phone at your face while your high, is standing in the way of you changing as a woman.

Its sad to read this because some woman are intimidated into loving their partner, and that sounds like the case here. Sure he's lovely when he's calm but when he's angry and your high it compounds things and may lead to a really dangerous confrontation. Get out and get clean and maybe the police will think your statement is credible but bottom line is you need to sort yourself out and that includes becoming an independent woman, un-reliant on her man!!!

By the sounds of it, you need some serious help and he deserves a little time! But if you keep to your current lifestyle, then you deserve to be behind bars as well. Get straight, clean up, and make amends!

Wow, you are a horrible horrible person. You can tell them you want the charges dropped however in domestic situations like this the state will press charges if the victim (you) doesn't want to anyways.

You cant drop charges only the DA can

Source(s): www.thelaw.com