does any one know how much a wedding meal will cost?

im getting married and i would like to know how much the meal will cost for 48 people. we are on a budget (and live in the UK) please no judgemental answers!!!

Favorite Answer

Hi Beverley. This is so dependent on what route you choose to take. You can do anything from hiring a Church or Village Hall and hiring caterers or doing it yourself, to hiring a stately Home for the weekend with a lavish 6 course dinner.

Have you chosen a venue? You may need to swallow hard when you hear the room hire charge. At some places we were quoted £3500 just for the room! A three course dinner without drinks is between £35.00 & 100.00 per head, and if you use a good Hotel or a Stately Home you can add another £75.00 p.h for drinks.

It would certainly be worth looking at using local caterers & hiring a Hall. I have a friend who did this. The Hall was licensed and they saved a fortune by providing their own Champagne & wine. They had a very simple buffet. I wish I could remember how much she told me it cost but it was excellent and I remember being impressed by how little she paid! Because it was a small wedding a buffet worked, and nobody minded not having a dinner.

I would have thought that if you take that option your cost would be under £50 a head.

We are getting married in June and having our recpetion at a Hilton hotel and we are having a sit down meal.

Its costing us £45 a head and that includes a drink on arrival and half bottle of wine with the meal.

We have been quoted prices from £37 upwards and thats at the Hilton too.

My advice would be to ask at the place where you are holding your reception or if you havent booked it yet then just ring round a few hotels and get some idea of cost. It all depends on whether you have drinks included or not dont forget.

Good luck.

I think the meal alone for 48 people could cost around £1400 give or take a few 100. Have you got a place booked? Sit down with them and find out on average how much they would charge per head, see their example menus too. Hope that helps!

Source(s): Bride 2 Be march 2009

Really depends, mostly linked directly to the venue you are getting married. As you can surely appreciate pricing would differ between having a reception at a pub, a boat, hotel or a fancy venue. Using external caterers (approved by venue) could work out cheaper per meal, but you have to consider that you will need to pay additional fees for using the venue's porcelain and cutlery for example.

Meal options would generally be either a formal 3-course sit-down meal with dessert/coffee, or a (finger) buffet. As a rule the latter should work out cheaper with more food per person and more flexibility.

My fiancee and I have arranged for a buffet of finger foods which comes to about £32 per person. A 3 course set meal worked out to £38 per person.

Source(s): Getting married in a week in Old Royal Navy College in Greenwich.

I think it all depends on where your having your wedding/reception hun. I have a budget(ish) and sort of sticking to it lol. Instead of having a meal we are having a 10 piece buffet for 100 people and it is £15 a head. Our reception is in a lovely hotel in the north east of england.

• Linda

I live in the UK .My daughter is getting married next may ,and i am paying £39 per head for a three couse meal in a Golf Club .Hope this helps

We are planning our wedding at the moment. We are paying £45 per head 3 course + Wine.

If you want to save money ????

You may be better to hire a nice hall and have a buffet (outside caterers) rather than a venue where you have to use there catering arrangements.

My fiance is a outside caterer and it is far cheaper that way.

(couldn't really ask her to cater her own wedding could i ha ha)

If you want any further advice email me and i'll get my fiance to give you some more detailed advice

its the food thats costing us the most...its gone up by £4.00 per peron where are getting married that doesnt help. Its £16.00 per person for a buffet...thats not inc deserts! They wanted to charge 200 quid for a whole salmon which costs 15 quid in the shops and it would only feed 25 people and i would have had to get 4 of them so 800 quid on fish..er dont think so!

• Mrs.H

it vary's depending on the venue,

my friend is having hers in a social club her meals are £13.00 per head

i'm having mine in a golf club and i'm £26.50

i was at a wedding in a fairly posh hotel and there meals were £35.00 per head

it just depends where you want the reception

those prices are for 3courses

congratulations and good luck

I live in Chicago & just put down a deposit on my reception hall last week for an off season wedding which means it was cheaper. It was still $38.00/person not including the frilly chair covers I just had to have!!! I think it really depends on where you live, what season your wedding is going to be in and what you'll be serving!