Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

A couple of basic Spanish questions?

First thing is; my teacher wrote this on the board in school.

"Pase dos anos viviendo en espana y me gusta mucho la vida espanola".

Why is it that "mucho" isn't "mucha" if la vida is feminine??

Also, what about the song called "Dondequiera que estes". What does dondequiera mean? I know the translation is "wherever" but how is that?

ALSO, I was watching a book which had said things like "le gusta" in a character profile. Why isn't the reflexive verb used ? Muchas gracias!

Spanish is a very complex language, with a lot of variations. Your teacher was right. In that sentence you have to use "mucho",not "mucha". The gender related issue only applies if you are using "mucho"/"mucha" right before the noun,as an adjective. Examples : Mucha Suerte! Mucha salsa. Mucha vida.

In this case he is saying that he likes spanish life very much. You have "la" in between "mucho"and "vida".

"Dondequiera" means "wherever",you are right. It comes from "donde"="where" and "quiera"=like. Why? .Because instead of saying "donde tu quieras"= "where you like". You just shorten it to "dondequiera"=wherever

"le gusta " is short for " a el le gusta"(if it is a guy) or " a ella le gusta "(if she is a girl). " a el le gusta"=He likes. "a ella le gusta"= She likes.

Why? It is just the way it is.

Source(s): I am a native spanish speaker

dondequeira que estes means whereever you are.

In the first sentence, espanola is the adjective and it is feminine like the noun "vida". The word mucho is standing alone. It just depends on where it is used in the sentence.

Edit: Sue said it better than me.

Mucho...referring to...me gusta which is neutral.

Dóndequiera means wherever, literally, "where you might want".

and it is not YOU who is pleasing yourself (not in me gusta, anyway), but the SUBJECT which is pleasing to you.

Literally: me gusta el libro....the book pleases me...I am the direct object, in this case, and the book is the subject. So the verb matches the subject, the direct object is the me....and if you were saying I please myself......me gusto....but you don't want to be saying that...think about it :)

it should be mucha... it is wherever... as in wherever you are. Le gusta means he/she likes, referring to a person who likes something.