Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

Is safe- for- humans water from a swimming pool harmful to plants if emptied onto a garden (in Greece). ?

I need to empty the swimming pool at my property in Greece for winter. The water has previously been chemically treated to be safe for swimming. To avoid just dumping down a drain I would like to use it to water the garden. Is it likely to harm the plants?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Stop adding chlorine to the pool for now and wait for the chlorine levels to drop. I know that this is what everyone else said but there is more to it. You also need to make sure the pH is balanced. If you drain your pool with the pH being below 7.0 or above 7.8 it will be harmful to the environment and more than likely kill the plants. So- make sure chlorine is 0 and pH is between 7.0 and 7.8 before draining.

Source(s): APSP Certified Service Pro
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

If the backwash is coming from the pool, then only if the chlorene is at a good low level (lower than it should be as a pool) can a blanket, no it won't harm your plants, because it wall almost certainly harm some plants. You might check and see how much damage has been done and try taking some buckets of water and checking on areas of your lawn and selected plants you keep track of. You can be almost certain that the plants are not contaminated (if they don't die) because the chlorine content is going to be wiped out almost immediately. If you are chlorinating with salts rather than pool shock (HCl) or equivalent, the other half of the salt might be a thing to check on.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Chlorine is unstable. Therefore it disappears from water quite readily, which is why you have to add it to maintain the pool chemical level.

If you wait a week or two the level will drop, especially in sunny weather, to the state where plants will not be harmed.

• 1 decade ago

i own a pool company and the tap water in the united states is used to fill swimming pools here.it is also used to water plants without any ill effects chlorine level in swimming pool is held at 3.0 chlorine,but if you measure water coming out of tap which you drink you will see it is much higher then 3.0 for swimming pools so i doubt the water in you swimming pool in greece will hurt plants

Source(s): owner spotless pools arlington texas
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Wait for the chlorine or bromine to evaporate, the other chemicals will be fine. Stop adding to the pool with and test. Once it shows zero chlorine or bromine, you are good to go.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Definately unsuitable for your plants.

• 1 decade ago

If it has been Chloronated, the plants won't like it at all..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.