Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

What about 17? Umm....17 Days until NHL hockey?

1. In the 2010 Winter Olympics, Canada will most likely be winning their 17th medal for “ice” hockey. Do you find it more exciting to see the pros in action, or would you rather see non-professionals like the way it was back in the day?

2. There are 17 muscles in the human tongue. Do you think tongue piercings are stupid?

3. Gilles Gilbert holds the record for the most consecutive wins at 17. I believe the most consecutive winning games Brodeur has had was 11. Will this record EVER be broken?

4. When I was an elementary school kid, I fell in love with the “Sound of Music” movie. My most beloved song was “Sixteen Going on Seventeen”. I would run around in a housedress pretending to be Liesl. Did you ever have a weird song that you liked as a young kid?

5. Hockey intermissions are 17 minutes long. What is the most you have ever accomplished in 17 minutes?

6. Brind'Amour, #17, is still always a point-a-game type of guy, great team player, and one of the most ideal Captains in the NHL. I totally love this guy. Do you know anything negative about Brind'Amour that would make me see him in a different light, or do you simply agree that he is the cat’s meow, as well?

Sorry Puckdat...I didn't know that Captain Crunch was on your 17 list, lol. I kept the 17 playoffs of my fav., Jean Béliveau had under my belt....got to keep 'dem kids interested, don't cha know.

• Favorite Answer

1) The original Olympic rules were set out to have the best athletes in the world, the word amateur was put in several years later to prevent professional baseball players, soccer players, etc from using their super athletic talents and win all the medals. Today, 99% of the athletes who compete in the Olympics are professional by nature, they are paid to train, compete, etc. Michael Phelps and his $4MM in sponsorship is no more amateur than Alexander Ovechkin and his $9MM+ a year If Michael Phelps can compete, then so should an NHL player.

The other thing to consider is that Canada and the US were the last countries to send professional hockey players to the Olympics. Germany, Sweden and Finland sent their best players from their professional leagues in 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, and 1984. 1972 Swedish team member Borje Salming received less than a 20% pay increase when he joined the Leafs (who at the time made Salming the 3rd highest paid defenceman in the NHL). Erich Kuhnhackl played on the German Olympic team in 1972, 1976, and 1980. In 1975, the Montreal Canadiens offered him a $1MM a year contract, he turned it down because he was making more in Germany. In 1977, the Rangers offered him a $1.1MM a year contract, which he turned down for similar reasons. There were entire teams in the NHL that had payrolls between $1MM and $2MM in 1975 (In 1975, the Montreal Canadiens's payroll topped the NHL at $3.14MM, while the Washington Capitals brought up the rear at $1.18MM) . So, if Salming and Kuhnhackl weren't making the big bucks playing hockey (and make no doubt about it - it's all they did) what were they making the big bucks doing?

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) As Time Goes By was a favourite as a kid

5) My daughter's conception

6) Brind'Amour has a lot of weaknesses in his game - that's all I'll say.

- This one's a toughie. Back in the day I didn't appreciate the Commies using their veterans to compete against our college boys. Now, since the geniuses at the NHL think shutting down the league for a few weeks is a good idea I find myself longing for the Old Days.

- Oh, absolutomundo. To install metal upon my talented muscle would be tatamount to giving a massage with a hand iron. Plus, I have this compulsion to tug on things like studs and earrings. Just ask a few of my buds who proudly displayed their new jewelry to me the first time.....

- Not in the "new" NHL. Maybe the KHL.

- Young. What's that? I do remember running around our rowhome in Chester back when I was a kid in the mid 1960's with a homemade Batman cape and Zorro mask on. Didn't matter who was sitting on the sofa - I stepped on you as I ran to leap off the armrests. That is until I stepped on Uncle Bob's toolkit. Batman didn't win that one.....

- Again, like your 18 days question, I will refrain from answering by pleading the 5th as I don't want to be responsible for inspiring some youngster to do the things I have done.

- "Roddy" is one of those rare athletes that have come through Philly that I would support and root for their team no matter which one it is - even the Habs. That is unless they are playing the Flyers, of course.

• Ruth

1.) I highly doubt it. He's a world class player who belongs in the NHL. He had 66 points last season, and he didn't even play all the games. A player of that level is going to be in the NHL. 2.) A fancy 18th floor! I'm Chinese, and my parents are from Hong Kong. Take it from me, Chinese people are VERY superstitious and look for coincidences and things like that. 8 is a very important number (hence the olympics began on 8/8/08, the ceremony was at 8:08pm, and things like that). So an 18th floor in China is going to be pretty nice! I've never been back home though :( I would love to go. 3.) Probably not. With 18 players, there were 4 lines of 3 forwards and 3 lines of 2 defensemen. So with 20 players, there will be 4 lines of forwards and 4 lines of defensemen. That would make a line of 5 players, which kind of works out. I don't think it's a big deal. 4.) 18 seconds of the NHL finals. I don't like field hockey, and definitely not porn!! 5.) 18 in 34 days! When I turn 18, I'll drive all my friends legally lol. In New Jersey you don't get your provisional license till 17, and you're only allowed to drive 1 family member and/or 1 non-family member. Of course nobody follows this law, but at least when I'm 18 it won't be illegal. And I'll turn 18 by the election, so I'm going to vote. 6.) The penalty is four minutes, which technically is a double minor. But it is redundant.

• 1) I actually like it both ways. With the pros and the amatures as well. I think the team maybe should have a mix on it.

2)Toungue piercings are stupid and make people that have them sound stupid . Not attractive in anyway in any form. For losers

3)At some point it will be

4)I was a music geek as a little kid. I remember siging along to Silly things like Tony Orlando and Dawn "Knock three times" or Sonny and Cher "I got you babe" Those Tv shows I remember and Would put on shows for the family

5)Several laps around the arena. I also played in an intermission game so getting on the ice playing getting off the ice and all that . Talking to a few players parents as well. Talking to a few injured visiting players at different times also

6)No real issues with Rod. I also wear #17 so that is points for him in my book. But He isn't the most attractive guy. But he is a very good player.

• cme

1) For years we sent the "C" team while the Soviet Union sent their "A" team after they went to boot camp. I kind of like the idea of levelling the playing field. Send in the best.

2) Both the tongue and the piercing are completely void of intelligence and so cannot be stupid. I'm not sure I can say the same for some of the folks getting these new holes.

3) 17 straight wins can be broken, though I don't know who's going to do it.

4) Not unless Frank Zappa' Billy the Mountain counts as wierd, or the soundtrack to Rocky Horror Picture Show.

5) I can build offspring in less than 17 minutes. (how's that for efficient?)

6) Rod Brind'Amour would be OK if he played for the Leafs.

1. I'd rather see the non-pros go for it. The pros already get enough attention and have enough success. Let the others have the spotlight for once.

2. They're stupid and gross. My friend just got it done and I can't even understand her anymore. I don't see the point.

3. Doubt it.

4. I used to love the song 'Dead Skunk' by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I have no clue why.

I don't know if normal people consider this weird but a lot of people I know do. I'm and Irish dancer, so I listen to Irish music pretty much more than anything else and I enjoy it like people enjoy their rap or country. I don't think it's weird, other people do.

5. I set up the game tyring and game winning goals in my final and then got knocked out in like five minutes. I think it was impressive. Don't really remember.

6. Well, the nose is a little negative. But other than that he's an amazingly incredible player and person.

1.) I like watching the pros, because they're not playing for their teams anymore, they're playing for their country which I think is so much more. Plus it's great seeing people on the same team playing against each other.

2.) Yes. They look painful and it seems to make eating difficult...

3.) Brodeur got 15 straight wins (including the post season where we swept the Rangers). But, out of regular season wins it was only 11. Roy didn't do it, Brodeur didn't do it, so I don't think that record will be broken anytime soon.

4.) When I was really young I used to listen to Chinese music all the time. Haha. Does that count? (At age 4 I had better Chinese than now at age 17...).

5.) Umm...I've taken a shower before. And walked my dog.

6.) I definitely agree he's a great captain. Especially because he's very defensive-minded (obviously, he's a Selke winner) which means he's playing less offensively to play defensively. Clearly if he had a more offensive role, he would be getting a lot more points. But he sacrifices this ability to play a defensive role for the betterment of the team, and I think that's really amazing.

• Kate

1. I don't know. I quite enjoy watching the pros to tell you the truth.

2. Yeah. I think they're extremely stupid.

3. I'm sure someone will break it one day. I just don't think it'll be Brodeur. He's getting up there in age.

4. Not really. I mean, I was 5 years old when the Aerosmith song "Pink" came out. I use to dress up in really girly dresses and wear pink scarves and dance to that song for members of my family. Lol. That's the only thing I can really remember.

5. Well, during the first hockey intermission of every game I watch I take a shower, eat dinner and feed the dog. Maybe that doesn't sound like too much, but it is for me.

6. I don't think I can argue. I don't like Brind'Amour, but I won't argue about him being a great player.

1) I've had enough of the pros being involved. I think the medal would mean more if all olympic athletes were amateurs.

2) Top of my list of stupid actually.

3) I can't say never but, it won't happen in my lifetime.

4) "I wish I was an Oscar Meyer weiner ..."

5) Honestly, there are very few things in my life that have required they be timed. We live with moose and squirrels upp here what do you want?

6) I got no dirt. He's been everything the Canes could hope for. I'm sure most GMs would put their sweater on him if they could.

A question about 17 and nothing about Wendell Clark? I am disappointed.

1) Non-professionals like the Quebec Senior League, where the Habs got Beliveau from when he was on the ACES (ironically meaning Anglo Canadian EmployeeS)

ps Bill = if it weren't for both capitalist Canada and US not wanting players from Eastern Europe competing in the NHL and the communist countries not allowing their stars to leave, they WOULD have been in the NHL in those days; in which case, events like the 1980 Olympics would have been amateur Russian players against amateur Americans (just as a random example)

2) Just because it has muscle doesn't give it strength or knowledge.

3) Marty Turco might do it someday, he's on a good enough team and plays nearly every game.

4) My parents were mostly into classical music. Ya'll know of the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius?, well my dad knew him.

5) I can do a lot in 17 minutes, but it's not all appropriate for this section.

6) Women drool when they see him, men wish they had his physique. But as far as the #17 goes, the first player who comes to my mind is Jari Kurri.