KingMR
KingMR asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Which NFL teams are underrated and overrated?

A lot of teams had real good opening games. Some teams that were awful in '07 whipped up on some other awful teams and are now getting hyped up. Who is the most overrated team with a win in week one? Also who is underrated? Here's my top 5 for each.

1. Atlanta Falcons (Wow, you beat the Detroit Lions on 3 long plays. Beat a contender and I will probably give you 6-10. Until then they are still a 4-12 team.)

2. Buffalo Bills- (Crushing win last Sunday. One game won't convince me that Marshawn Lynch and Trent Edwards are the real deal. Still no play-offs in 08.)

3. New York Jets (Brett Favre is not going to take you to the big one. He couldn't do it with Packers, nevertheless Jets)

4. Green Bay (I think Minnesota is the 90's version of the Detroit Lions. Great RB and that's it. Green Bay barely won. Green Bays running game has been noticed and teams will focus on Ryan Grant. Show me Aaron Rodgers make some plays with 2 minutes left and win the game. Then I will believe. They beat Minnesota only because of an INT and a long run by Ryan Grant.

5. New York Giants- (Luck is typically a one time thing. Giants fans hope you enjoyed last year because thats the end of the champaign popping. I hear about Eli showing poise and whatever from beating the Redskins. Redskins are not a good football team. If they were a true superbowl contender they would have detroyed the Redskins. McNabb is back. Giants won't see play-offs in '08.

Underrated

1) Broncos- (If anyone saw the Monday Night game Bronco's versus Raiders, you might have noticed that Cutler is for real. The passing game was great. Just wait until they add Marshall back to the line-up. You will be lucky if you have Cutler on your fantasy team. He will be top 5 QB's in '08 with Brady gone. Shanahan always has a great running game and now he has a passing attack. If the defense can hold up expect Broncos to win the division.

2) Tennessee Titans- (The only thing hurting them is Vince Young. Titans fans have become impatient with him. With the best kept secret, Chris Johnson, the Titans now have big play ability to go along with the defense. Young will be out for two weeks, which puts Kerry Collins in the starting spot. With Kerry's experience expect them to win the next few games until Vince Young comes back. The defence uncludes Pro-bowlers Jevon Kearse, Albert Haynesworth, and Keith Vanden Bosch on the defensive line, along with Keith Bullock at LB, and the most underrated cover coner Cortland Finnegan to top the defense. After punishing the superbowl contender Jacksonville Jags on Sunday expect them to make a statement in the AFC. Final record 11-5

3) Philadelphia Eagles- (After week one, I'm guessing many are expecting great things from the Egles. But many don't notice yet. Egles are the best team in the NFC. Yes, better than the Cowboys. McNabb is great with any recievers. With McNabb and Brian Westbrook on offense the sky is the limit. The path to the superbowl is in the hands of the defense.

4) Chicago Bears- (The defense is back! They are back to a top 5 defense in the NFL. Defense is what carried them in the past. Not much has changed since '05 and '06 defensively. Yes, the Colts were sloppy, but they were still the Colts and the Bears manhandled them. Matt Forte looks like an excellent rookie back. Orton made no mistakes against a pretty good Colts secondary. If he can keep it up expect Chicago to be a play-off contender again.

5) New England Patriots- (Many have doubted them after the Tom Brady injury. Tom Brady was once a backup just like Matt Castle. No, he is no Tom Brady so they probably won't go 16-0, but 11-5 is reasonable. Castle has sat behind Brady and watched and studied the offense. He can't be that bad with Welker and Moss as his recievers. With an improved running game and an experienced defense expect them to win their division.

LOL. My overrated teams are backwards.

Favorite Answer

This is just hilarious. You basing underrated and overrated teams based on ONE WEEK of games.

Also, FYI, the Patriots, Bears, Eagles, Titans, and Broncos are not underrated. They've been expecting good seasons.

Likewise, the Falcons, Bills, Jets, Packers, and Giants are not overrated. They're never mentioned with the super bowl contenders for this year.

Wow, I have Cutler AND Marsall on my fantasy team, and even though I got pwned on week one, I'm expecting things to get better. The Bears are seldom underrated, I would also put Green Bay on the underrated list as well, even with Aaron Rodgers as QB that's pretty hard to turn a 13-3 team into an 8-8 team in one year. I definitely agree on the Falcons being overrated....let's see what they look like at week 6 (3-3 is my guess). I would say Cowboys are underrated but they're expected to win the NFC, if not the SB this year....sounds about right to me...they're loaded at every position....13 pro-bowlers last year, that might get up to 15 this year with the addition of Zach Thomas and Adam Jones. We're a long way away from actually seeing what teams are actually made up of tho, like I said...ask this question around week 6 and you'll have a completely different list of teams as pretenders and contenders.

I've been a Broncos fan for nearly 15 years now, and before I even read what you said. I was thinking Broncos are so Under rated. Broncos never get any credit! Nothing! I'm glad to see you think they are under rated, because they are. I agree with your other 4 selections of Under rated. People don't give New England enough credit. Randy Moss is still one of the best receivers without Brady. The Pat's defence is still one of the best in the game. I have a huge amount of respect for Tom Brady, but the Pats can do it without him.

Chicago Bears looked LEGIT after playing Indy, even IF Peyton Manning is "rusty", they had a great defence going. Kyle Orton looked above Average. No doubt they will win their division, I don't really consider Minnesota, or Green Bay a contender after watching those two teams go head-to-head last night.

About the Over rated. Well, the problem with the Bills is; they rely way too much on their special teams. They will pull off a few wins with special teams, but Trent Edwards hasn't proven to me that he's capable of winning close games. (I live in Buffalo, watch most of their games if Broncos aren't playing.) Marshawn Lynch will do quite a bit, but won't be able to carry this team. Buffalo Bills defence is above average, but they won't be able to stop a team such as New England.

The Jets, are lucky they have Favre, but how many "prayers" can Favre throw till they turn into lame ducks? I think everyone can agree with me that the Jets were lucky to beat Miami. They won't win their division simply because Favre can't carry them. Yes, they did make it to the playoffs last year with Favre, but that's totally different, he's been apart of that Organization for a decade. He knows the rule book inside and out. The Jets have a different way of doing things, and because of that, they'll finish the season 8-8.

The G-Men have one of the toughest divisions in all of the NFL. Expectations are high for them this year, since they won the super bowl, but I can't really see them beat the Cowboys, or the Eagles. Eli Manning is proving that he's more mature, but I just don't see them making the playoffs this year. I think the Cowboys will compete with the Eagles in winning the division, but in the end, I think the Cowboys will win their division. I'm not a fan of Tony Romo, but he has a great receiver (T.O), and the running game is phenominal. Their defence can stop offensive drives for the MOST part.

• Ryan

LOL! Is this a joke or what? Ummm when were the Falcons ever overrated? Yeah, NEVER. Packers are still a good team, just not superbowl contenders anymore, Bills should get to 8-8 at least (From watching Cal, Lynch is capable of being great) and the Jets are uknown even with Favre. Eagles just killed one of the worst teams and somehow you think they are underrated? Lets see if the Bear's offense is consistent enough and the Pats are probably out of the superbowl or even playoffs this year.

• ny21tb

I hope You're not a betting man. if so, You stand to lose Your shirt, this year. ATLANTA, is still wait and, see.

BUFFALO, wins the AFC EAST.

Favre, DID take GREEN BAY to the BIG ONE and, WON IT!

GREEN BAY AND, Aaron Rodgers, are for real and, will contend with, CHICAGO, for the NFC NORTH.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

the GIANTS,must have had a hell of a lot more luck, than You give them credit for since, 1925.

3 SUPER BOWL wins, 4 NFL CHAMPIONSHIPS, 22 DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIPS and, 29 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES.

when did You start watching football, 2002?

BRONCOS, are still wait and, see. they were playing the RAIDERS. arguably, the lousiest team in the NFL.

TENNESSEE, is a talented team but, no playoffs, this year. Vince, is the LEAST of their troubles.

the EAGLES, looked good, this week. AGAINST THE RAMS. if that's all it takes to make Your best team in the NFC list, prepare to expand it. they should finish third, in their own division, IF Mcnabb plays past week 8.

CHICAGO. as I said, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! but, You have to have SOME offense, to get to those championships. if the offense, doesn't TOTALLY collapse, they could be a contender.

PATRIOTS. Matt Cassell, did an admirable job, filling in for Brady. AGAINST KANSAS CITY!

they go 9-7, this year and, I'm being optimistic for them.

I'm pretty much on board with everyone you've written with the exception of Buffalo. One game may not convince you that Lynch and Edwards are for real, but so far they've given you no reason to believe that they aren't. Give them a chance and take a look at their division -- playing the Jets and Dolphins twice. You say no shot at the playoffs in '08, but look for them to pull out a few unexpected wins and squeak into the playoffs.

• Josh89

Overrated:Eagles-McNabb will get hurt or they'll choke like the always do in the playoffs.

Underrated:Packers-Since Favre left everyone picked em to suck and they beat a Minnesota team thats has high expectations this year

How are the Falcons overrated?Everyone still has em finishing last even though they beat Detroit.

• Amber

Under: The Giants seem to be the NFL's whipping boy, and I don't see what they've done to be made fun of so much. As far as going 8-8 I could give you a list of all the injuries they had but I'd be here for 4 hours. Over: The Chargers are supposed to be in the Superbowl every year, and every year come playoff time...

I don't agree with any of your overrated teams and I believe the Pat should be on that list. I would agree with underrated team and would also put the Panthers on there. No one expected a win over San Diego.

• I find it hard to believe that you can already declare teams overrated and underrated one week into the season.

If I had to pick overrated for right now, I'd say Jacksonville, due to their huge injuries and questionable QB play.

If I had to pick underrated right now, I'd say the Steelers. With the AFC as wide open as ever, I think they could be the top seed.

Once again, far too early to make these kind of judgements.