Is it illegal to lie on your CV?

I've never been to school, so I never got any qualifications. I could never get a job because people didn't take me seriously, they thought I had had an interesting background but didn't want to hire me. So I lied on my CV and said that I'd done 6 GCSEs and 3 A levels. No ones ever questioned it, but is it illegal?

• Naguru

We are supposed to certify in the bottom of our cv that the statements given above are true to the best of our knowledge and belief. So we cannot give a wrong picture.

At the same time, you should remember that qualities of character, common sense, and personality are far more essential and important than specific educational background.

Source(s): own

Depending on the job it may be fraud, and therefore illegal. It's more likely to be a criminal law issue if you pretended you had professional qualifications for a job where these were mandatory (eg pretending to be a doctor when you're not), or if your employer is a Government agency. However, if all you lied about were your school qualifications, then it's not likely that an employer will involve the police. They may, however, sack you and, what's worse, give you a bad reference, in which case it can stop you getting jobs in the future.

The problem with lying about school qualifications is that people will probably ask to see your diploma or other proof of schooling before you start the job. If so, then you won't end up getting the job.

If you are lucky enough to get your first job through these lies, do a really great job, get a really great reference and you won't have to pretend for your second job!

A better way is to get advice about how to properly apply for jobs. Maybe it's not just your lack of qualifications that stop you, but also the way you present yourself. Get someone to help you write a good resume and letter to the employter. Pay attention to details like spelling and try and find out what an employer wants. If you're very motivated and really want a particular job, offer to work for free for a few days to let the employer try you out, but don't get upset if they then don't take you. Ultimately, your work has to speak for itself. If you do a good job, in a few years, people won't care how well you did at school.

Good luck!

1

Source(s): AskResumeExpert - http://askresumeexpert.com

Hi,

In response to this question, Is it illegal to lie on your CV?, I tell you that you might get some help from askresumeexpert

As you described; "I've never been to school, so I never got any qualifications. I could never get a job because people didn't take me seriously, they thought I had had an interesting background but didn't want to hire me. So I lied on my CV and said that I'd done 6 GCSEs and 3 A levels. No ones ever questioned it, but is it illegal?" I hope it might help you.

Best of Luck :)

• spiva

confident in case you sign an application claiming each and everything is genuine. notably in case you persist with for a job you have not any legal license to prepare (at the same time with being a nurse and using for a place as a doctor and pretending you have a legal license). do not upload any jobs you have by no potential had after which you wont could difficulty. some employers might verify your CV or you will be able to get an company who worked on the final pretend interest you positioned on the CV! and then they'll discover out you the two be attentive to not something approximately that company or interest or which you extremely by no potential worked there! So dont lie.

It is not illegal, but it is unethical. Getting a job by boosting your qualifications with non-existent information is a disservice not only to the company but more especially to you. Once the company finds out you lied on your application, that is grounds for immediate termination..and no other company will hire you if they learn you were terminated for said reason. The best thing to do is get yourself back to school, or get a job that requires very little qualification. I have a friend who got to this country on a raft from Cuba. He started working as a hotel porter (something like a janitor who sweeps, vacuums and maintains the public areas in the hotel). All the while he enrolled in GED classes, English as a second language courses, etc. When he became proficient in english, he studied accounting in the Community College. I am proud to say that he now works as an accountant for the hotel which is a 4 star rated hotel here in the US.

Source(s): Real life experience.
  • k

The problem you will face about lying on your CV about your qualifications is that a lot of Employers will ask to see your exam certificates before you start working for them.

no its not illegal in most cases but there are some jobs that you could be prosecuted for fraud if you lie about qualifications to get it. eg - pretending to have a degree in medicine and becoming a doctor.

It is not illegal to lie in your CV, but when you take it to a potential employer most probably that you will have to prove your knowledge, once they discover it you will be sacked so it is not worthy.

• Eddy T

It is not illegal but you got to live with that lie. They can terminate your job contract once they find out that lie.